Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › All Things Italian › Recipes › STAR BREAD

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
STAR BREAD
You asked for it and here it is!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
USCottini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: STAR BREAD Reply with quote

When I visit my Italian Relatives in Springfield MA, I can find STAR Bread. When I was small several places had it and it was truly shaped like a 5 pointed star. I was still able to find it last year but only one place makes it and they now shape n something that looks more like an H instead of a star. I would like to obtain a recipe for this bread. It is probably from Northern Italy as the Italians that settled in Springfield are from the north.
Thanks.
gillaf1
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: STAR BREAD Reply with quote

Did you try asking the bakery? I am not familiar with that bread so no help here. Sorry!
USCottini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: STAR BREAD Reply with quote

Thanks for response. The store where we got it did not bake it but I do have a copy of the label so I might be able to get in touch with them.
gillaf1
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: STAR BREAD Reply with quote

If you get a chance, would you mind posting the info from the label on here? Thanks!
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: STAR BREAD Reply with quote

Yes, please post - I would also like to see that.

Calabria Exchange
USCottini

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: STAR BREAD Reply with quote

I cannot figure out how to attach label copy but it says:

Balboni's Star Bread

Ingredients: wheat flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin reduced from thiamine menonitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, malted barley flour, potassium bromate) salt, yeast, water, liquid soybean oil, shortening.

Per my cousin lots of bakeries used to make it but this is the last one.
gillaf1
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: STAR BREAD Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the info about Star Bread. Besides the name is there any info about the bakery on the label. Like: address, phone number, web site, etc?
Gigi
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: STAR BREAD Reply with quote

I Googled it, & found this...

le-ricette-della-nonna...omune.html

INGREDIENTS 1 kg of flour 0 500 g biga 400 ml of warm water 50 g fresh yeast (2 cubes) 20 grams of salt

PROCEDURE Form the fountain with the flour, put in the center of the chariot, combine the yeast and mix a little with a little water. Combine the salt (dissolved in a little water) and the rest of the water, mixing with your hands until you have a smooth ball and uniform (5 min.) Put the ball in a bowl, cover with film, then with a cloth and let rise until doubled (15-20 minutes) at room temperature. Take small pieces of dough and give the desired shapes (cross, montasù, Mustafa, barrel, etc.). Put them well apart on sheets of baking paper, cover with a nylon cloth and let them rise at room temperature until doubled (30-40 minutes). Practicing cuts with a razor blade if necessary (for the barrel, homemade, etc..) and bake until golden brown in a preheated oven at 200 ° C-220 ° C, placing the pan in the lower part of the oven. bread out of the oven, place it to cool on a wire rack or in a wicker basket covered with a cloth, and serve. At this point, the You can also freeze bread, slipped into bags for food. necessary, remove the bread from the freezer and put it directly in the oven until it thaws and heats become slightly crispy

Researching: Roseti, Macrino, Gatto, Guida, Bonafede, DiNardo, Valenti, Nobile (Nobile-Camalleri), Augugliaro, Salce, Pignalitti, Panepinto, Canzoneri, Cammarata (Cammarata-Spatoro), Spallino, Ciccarello, Bellomo, Cutro, Ciccone, Noto, Columbo, Coia, Santilli, Iacuone, Pietromartire, Mariano
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to: