x
Toggle Content Register or Login  -  September 24, 2017, 5:01 am
Toggle Content User Info
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by liviomoreno in Southern Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 05:52:40

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by liviomoreno in Where do I begin? on Sep 23, 2017 at 05:41:40

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:13:41

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Northern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 01:30:23

Ambrogio Bianchi
Last post by debbiemfit in Central Italy on Jul 31, 2017 at 17:49:19

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › finding relatives

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
finding relatives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spulio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: finding relatives Reply with quote

Looking for an unique last surname of Spulio. Also looking for information about Carmela Calabro. Any one related to me?
Italysearcher
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

Spurio is a valid surname, but not Spulio or Spuglio. Probably a foundling, so no relatives in this line. We would need some dates and town of origin to help with either of them.

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

Naturalization for Giuseppe Spulio (granted through service in US Army in WWI). Born 3 May 1895 in Folignano -- province Ascoli Piceno -- region Marche.

interactive.ancestry.c...sePUB=true

Sons of Italy membership application. Father Luigi; wife Carmela.

interactive.ancestry.c...1979-00668

Working with and verifying Ann's surname:
1913 New York ship manifest for Giuseppe Spurio, line 1
age 17 (born about 1896)
Last residence Folignano; leaves father Luigi in Italy (so likely not a foundling?)

interactive.ancestry.c..._2036-0253

Also, found listings for 5 Spurios in Folignano on Pagine Bianche.

No luck thus far finding a ship manifest for Carmela Calabro. She might have travelled with her mother and was listed under her mother's maiden name. Do you know Carmela's mother's maiden name?

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
spulio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

I thank you very much for the information you have found you are so wonderful. I believe Carmela Calebro (I spelled it wrong, I re-checked my dad's birth certificate) was married to Giuseppe Spulio before coming to America. My Grandmother said she was born in Calabro. I don't know much more, I have placed a call to the local Catholic Church were they were associated with to see if it will yield more information.
spulio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

I found a Carmela Calabro's (birth certificate could be wrong) on a ship to America, This may be a close match Calabro, Maria Carmela date arrived 1924, age 22, place of birth Iatrinoli, Italy Ship Conte Verde. Is this my Great Grandfathers first name or last name? Luigi
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

spulio wrote:
I thank you very much for the information you have found you are so wonderful. I believe Carmela Calebro (I spelled it wrong, I re-checked my dad's birth certificate) was married to Giuseppe Spulio before coming to America. My Grandmother said she was born in Calabro. I don't know much more, I have placed a call to the local Catholic Church were they were associated with to see if it will yield more information.

The 1913 manifest for Giuseppe posted above states he was single. Also, I found a 1920 census for Giuseppe and Carmela (Millie) living in Darby. PA. It states that Carmela emigrated circa 1912.

1920 census

1930 census states they were married about 1919/1920 based on age at first marriage. So, I believe that the 1924 manifest you found is not for your Carmela. Check with the local parish to see if they can locate a marriage record circa 1919/1920--see date of marriage in Delaware county below.

Giuseppe Spulio (Spurio's) 1954 PA death certificate states his parents as father, Louie (Luigi) and mother Mary (Maria) Pietre. Luigi was Giuseppe's father's first name.

Per the marriage records of Delaware county PA. Giuseppe
Spulio (Spurio) and Carmela Calabro (I believe that Calabro is the correct surname) were married on 9 Oct 1919.

w01.co.delaware.pa.us/...chives.asp

Biff

spulio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

I want to again thank you so much for your help in tracing my family tree. It would be very nice to have family in Italy. Does the surnames of Spurio and Calabro have any meaning and do they have a coat of arms? Very Happy
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

There are 5 Spurio's listed in the Italian white pages in Folignano:

www.paginebianche.it/r...=folignana

These may or may not be relatives. As Ann stated above the surname Spurio indicates an illegitimate or foundling child of unknown parents; somewhat similar to the surname Esposito given to foundling children in Southern Italy. The surname could have been given to other children of unknown parents. The key is that your Giuseppe's death record gives his parents names---Luigi and Maria Pietre. It might be possible that Luigi and Maria had other children or siblings.

The surname Calabro denotes a man/person from Calabria.

Your best bet to verify Giuseppe's and find Carmela's parents' names would be to request a copy of their 1919 marriage license from Delaware County.

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

Interesting 1910 manifest for a Concetta Filograno travelling with daughter Carmela, age 13 (born about 1897) and son Francesco. Leaves daughter Domenica Calabro in Oppido Mamertina in Reggio Calabria, Italy. Destination Philadelphia to join husband/father Salvatore Calabro.

interactive.ancestry.c...dit/record

1920 census for Salvatore, wife Concetta, and son Frank living in Colwyn, Delaware county, PA. very close to Darby.

Since Concetta, Carmela, and Frank arrived in May of 1910 they would not have been enumerated in the 1910 census; and since Carmela married in 1919, she would not have been listed with her parents and brother on the 1920 census.

I believe that the Domenica on Concetta/Carmela/Frank's above manifest who was the relative left in Italy was married to Francesco (Frank) Leopoldo in Oppido and emigrated in 1911 with her daughter Maria Teresa--see lines 29 and 30.

interactive.ancestry.c..._1767-0322

Here is Domenica and Francesco Leopoldo family in the 1920 census living in Darby.

Domenica and Francesco had a total of 4 children based on census records I found--Maria Teresa born in Italy, Concetta/Concettina, Mary and Frederick. They also had a son Sam/Salvatore who was born in 1922 but died in December of that year from pneumonia.

Biff

spulio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

I do remember my dad talking about the Leopoldo family, I one again want to thank you for all your help in finding my relatives. Smile
Rspurio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

Hello, I've been searching for my uncle Giuseppe Spurio for many years. He was born in Folignano, Ascoli Piceno, Italy on the 30th of May 1896. His wife's name was Carmela, his daughter's names were Maria Gemma, Concetta and the son's name was Luigi Spurio. I don't speak English, but finally with the help of my niece we were able to see on the website Gente di Mare genealogy finding relatives; with the approximate dates that were mentioned. These are the only cousins that we have on my father's (Romano Spurio) side of the family, the youngest of three brothers: Giuseppe, Santa (Santina) and Romano. While I am awaiting for a photo and additional information that Giuseppe Spurio is my uncle ()that we're referring to the same person. He immigrated to the United States at the age of 17 years old, he left Naples on the 12th of March 1913 with the ship Verona; he arrived at Ellis Island on the 24th of March 1913. After 40 days of quarantine he was greeted by a cousin (Pirri?) who was already living in New York. My grandparents' names were MARIA PIRRI AND PANTALEONE GIUSEPPE SPURIO (they called him Luigi) from Folignano, Ascoli Piceno

Last edited by Rspurio on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

The second page of the Verona 1913 ship manifest above states he was joining his uncle Emidio Pirro(i) in NY

Here's the detainee listing. Detained 3 days. Released to uncle Emidio Pirri, his mother Maria Pirri's brother.

interactive.ancestry.c..._2036-0394

Biff

Rspurio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

Is there a way that I can contact giuseppe spurio's children (spulio) because I am 99% sure they are my cousins. I am the part of the family that remained in Italy
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: finding relatives Reply with quote

Hopefully, member "spulio" will check this board again and see your posts.

Biff

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: