Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Mar 12, 2017 at 21:49:52

Calabria Record
Last post by JoeBlack36 in Southern Italy on Mar 11, 2017 at 15:53:00

Cassivi from Ragusa
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 28, 2017 at 16:54:25

FONTANA-PENSA marriage between 1800 and 1814 in Como
Last post by denby in Northern Italy on Feb 27, 2017 at 00:00:12

Online Vital Records
Last post by debbiemfit in General Discussion Groups on Feb 26, 2017 at 21:15:51

Help finding city
Last post by Italysearcher in Southern Italy on Feb 05, 2017 at 11:10:06

Audino Birth Certificate - Benestare
Last post by drusilla in Where do I begin? on Jan 27, 2017 at 00:23:52

Genealogy for Barbera relatives
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Jan 19, 2017 at 06:34:28

Looking for photos of Relatives from Casignana
Last post by jimmybarber12 in Southern Italy on Jan 18, 2017 at 04:49:09

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Genealogy for Barbera relatives

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Genealogy for Barbera relatives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaballe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Genealogy for Barbera relatives Reply with quote

New to genealogy and I'
m wondering if there was ever a census type of listing in Italy at some point that listed the entire family. If not, what is the best way to search for my grandmothers and great grandparents siblings? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Genealogy for Barbera relatives Reply with quote

The only Italian Census that I'm aware of is the Catasti Onciario of 1754 that was mandated by the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies (Due Sicilie) which covered Sicily and most of Southern Italy (south of the Papal States). The King ruled from Naples I believe. I was able to obtain a copy from an Italian Genealogist who was extracting records from the Church Archives in Corato (BA) for me (prior to the Civil Records which began in 1809 in most of the smaller towns and cities). I know it is available from the Archivio in Naples, because a guy I know went there. He was shocked as they bought out a 250 year old book for him to research. There are also other records from it at some of the Provincial Capitals (like Bari) called Catastini. It may also be available in some larger cities but I'm not sure. I had asked a gentleman I know from my Ancestral town if there were other later censuses and he said no.....maybe someone else can shed more light on the subject. With this Gentleman's help I was shown the house listed in the Census for my Ancestors (no street address, just coordinates and nearby structures like the Church).

To my knowledge nothing like this is online, but who knows there is a lot of work being done to digitize records.

I hope this helps.....

PS -- You might get lucky as someone on this group mentioned that there was a CD with the data for her town; not sure if that occurs elsewhere. She has not posted for a long time however???

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: