Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Muscatello

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Muscatello

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

Cindy received your email. I have sent you something else to follow up on. Hopefully these will work.
Have you heard back from the Comune at all?

Calabria Exchange
jnmlasater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

I am so excited to have found this site and this thread! This is my very first post here. I know this is an old thread, but I am looking for information on this same family. I am the great granddaughter of Micheli Domenico Muscatello who was married to Maud King. My grandmother, who is still living, is Katherine Muscatello. She is their daughter. I've printed this thread so that my mom can take it with her when she visits my grandmother next week. She is going to review it and see if there is anything in there that we don't know already. My mom has been trying to trace the Italian side of her family ever since I can remember. The farthest back we have is Micheli's parents, Vincenzo Muscatello and Caterina Scarfo. It would mean a lot to her (and me) to expand her family tree!
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

1887 Marriage Act #7 for Vincenzo Carlo Muscatello and Marzia Caterina Scarfo.

18 Apr 1887
Vincenzo Carlo Muscatello, 24, a laborer, born in Siderno, son of Filippo and Francesca Verteramo
Marzia Caterina Scarfo, 19, a seamstress, born in Gerace, daughter of Antonio and Maria Carmela Crisafi.

Click on link below.

www.antenati.san.benic...0.jpg.html

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
jnmlasater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

Hi Biff! Thank you so much for the information and the quick reply. I'm new at all this, but my mom has been at it off and on for a very long time. This marriage record that you found seems to be the right people!

All the info we have are approximate birth dates for Vincenzo (abt 1867) and Caterina (abt 1871). The doc you sent gets us within a few years of those dates. My mom is going to take the info you sent to my grandma this weekend when she goes to visit and see if she remembers any of the names of the parents listed on the marriage record you found. They would have been her great grandparents, but since she likely never met them (they lived in Italy and no one traveled to visit that we know of), she may not remember. My grandma also has a box of pictures and letters that my mom is going to investigate while she is there.

Thank you for translating all that for us. I had searched for that a few days ago but got frustrated that I could not read the handwriting and Italian. I decided to do a little research about how to understand how they documented names and information to see if I could make more sense of it all. I've printed this doc to see if I can figure out a few key things. Thank you so much for giving me a place to begin!
jnmlasater

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

Hi again, Biff...

After rereading the entire thread, there are some links to some documents that no longer work. Could you help teach me how to find them again? The Find A Grave still works, and I have that link already. The Ellis Island ones I can probably find myself, but I'm not sure where the others came from, specifically the WWII Draft Card and the Declaration with Intent to Naturalize with photo. Here is the text from your original post:

For reference, 1912 manifest
Page 1
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0009

Page 2
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0009

A couple of clarifications:
His birthplace was Gerace, a town in the province of Reggio Calabria, region of Calabria.
I believe his name was Michele Domenico and it looks like he might have been travelling with relatives (see lines 6 and 8), all joining the same cousin in Philly at 727 S 7th St.

WWII Draft Reg Card
Birth: 28 Dec 1893
img198.imageshack.us/i...7/znz4.jpg

Burial information from findagrave
www.findagrave.com/cgi...16829&

Declaration of Intention to Naturalize with photo
Birthplace is Gerace Marina
Marriage March 22 1922 at Bristol TN
Wife's name Mode (Maude)
Children James (Americanized version of Vincenzo)--named after Vincenzo Moscatello?
Catira (Caterina)--named after Caterina Scarfo?
Phillipp
img69.imageshack.us/im...8/uvv2.jpg

Thank you again for all your help! I am so excited! Smile
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

I previously used an image hosting site which at the time was free. When they became a pay site and I declined, my account was nixed; thus, the links no longer work.

This link on familysearch has images of the naturalization documents I posted:

www.familysearch.org/s...e%3Aitaly~

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

WWII Draft Card:

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

Free search site for West Virginia vital records:

www.wvculture.org/vrr/...elect.aspx

Biff

jnmlasater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the info! Figuring out how to use a lot of these sites is half the battle, I think. Smile I figured out how to use family search for some things, so that helped me find the draft card and I googled the naturalization record with all the info I had and found that, too. My mom has a copy of that, but it was very old and hard to read. This one is much better! I'll need to hunt through the West Virginia site and see if I can find any records there.

The Ellis Island stuff I thought would be easy, but the multiple Michele Muscatello matches don't match the dates or info on the naturalization doc...it says that he arrived here 1 June 1912 on the S.S. Louisiana. I can't find any ship with that name nor a passenger on that date even coming close to his name. The closest one is 1 April 1913. Here is the link:

www.libertyellisfounda...5nZXIiOw==

If you have time (and the desire) to help me, I'd like to know if there is a better way to search those documents. Maybe it just is what it is.

You have been so much help getting me started! I'm so grateful for your knowledge of navigating the Italian sites and translating the Italian language.
My mom is currently with my grandma, Katherine Muscatello, and they are digging through boxes looking for info that she might have stashed away. Apparently her dad, Micheli (Michele) Muscatello did not like to discuss his life in Italy, so he did not share much information with his kids at all. Sad
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

I tried to post the images I saved from Ancestry but it's too large

When you search on Ellis Island, search for surname Moscatello, first name Mishe. He's on line 8. This is a two page manifest so you'll have to check the image before or after for both pages.

Biff

liviomoreno
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

Are these the images: assets.libertyellisfou...730577.jpg and assets.libertyellisfou...730578.jpg

La mia genealogia
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

Thanks, Livio. Those are the images.

Biff

jnmlasater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

Thank you guys! I was able to search Ellis Island Passenger records for Mishe Moscatello and found him and those possible 2 relatives. I was hoping that he was traveling with siblings, but it appears that they have different fathers listed. How are you guys so good at reading these documents? I have a hard time reading the handwriting unless it's something I'm expecting! Thanks so much for all your help. I'm sure I'll need more eventually.
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Muscatello Reply with quote

If you need help with anything else, please let us know.

Biff

Page 2 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: