Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › New comune out of old

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
New comune out of old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: New comune out of old Reply with quote

I just found out that San Benedetto Ullano and part of or all of San Fili were once part of my grandfather's town Montalto Uffugo - which at that time was just called Montalto Shocked Now I am a little confused. All this time I have been dismissing people from those towns figuring that they are not part of my family when, they could be. Is there anywhere I can find out these details?

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New comune out of old Reply with quote

Cathy,

I'm not sure but you may want to check the films for San Fili. Maybe the older ones will give clues. Just like I found out that Locri and Ardore (my father's ancestral villages) were actually part of the district of Gerace Marina. In fact, Locri was Gerace Marina once.

Also, try googling it and see what hits you get.

Calabria Exchange
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New comune out of old Reply with quote

Cathy wrote:
I just found out that San Benedetto Ullano and part of or all of San Fili were once part of my grandfather's town Montalto Uffugo - which at that time was just called Montalto Shocked Now I am a little confused. All this time I have been dismissing people from those towns figuring that they are not part of my family when, they could be. Is there anywhere I can find out these details?

Cathy,

I am not sure how big the town or village is, but maybe there is an Italian website for it......try doing a search on "storia di TOWNNAME" and maybe you will find some history on the town. I was amazed at how much data and old pictures I have found for both of my ancestral towns on Italian sites --- when I don't understand what is written, I try the translation tools so I can get a general understanding. There was more for Corato (BA) as it is much larger (50K abitani) vs. San Giorgio Albanese (CS) which is much smaller (< 1K abitani). I now have pretty good, detailed histories of both towns and a lot of pictures too.

Good hunting, Charlie

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: New comune out of old Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie! Very Happy

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: New comune out of old Reply with quote

Hey Charlie! Nice to see you again! Very Happy

Calabria Exchange
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New comune out of old Reply with quote

Hi Nuccia,

By any chance, do you know the Anania family in Woodbridge? The originate from Isca sul Ionio, Cantanzaro, Calabria?

Charlie

PS I am off to bella Italia next week to visit my cugini primo grade

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New comune out of old Reply with quote

Cathy wrote:
Thanks Charlie! Very Happy

Your are welcome Cathy, I hope that you find some info!!

Charlie

PS Has anyone had any luck writing to the Italian Unviersities for help?? I have written to both the University of Calabria and the University of Bari

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New comune out of old Reply with quote

Hey Carlie..

My sister lives in Woodbridge but I don't know the family. Of course, I can call them if you like. Are they relatives of yours?

One of our members, Paolo attends the University in Cosenza but I've never written to them. What would I ask? About the history?

Italy, huh? Lucky..wish I was going too. How long will you be there for?

Calabria Exchange
Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New comune out of old Reply with quote

Oh Charlie!! I am green with envy. Have fun in Italy.
It never occured to me to write the universities. What would they be able to help with? Shocked

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New comune out of old Reply with quote

nuccia wrote:
Hey Carlie..

My sister lives in Woodbridge but I don't know the family. Of course, I can call them if you like. Are they relatives of yours?

One of our members, Paolo attends the University in Cosenza but I've never written to them. What would I ask? About the history?

Italy, huh? Lucky..wish I was going too. How long will you be there for?

Hi Nuccia,

It is my son-in-law's Aunt and her family.

Regarding universities, I would write to their History Department; also you might find a Professore with one of your Surnames. I am also trying to find the origin of my surnames -- if my ancestors were always local or if not, where they emigrated from. My Maternal Grandparents were Arbereshe -- I have been told my Grandmother's family, Dramis settled in San Giorgio Albanese in about 1600 --- I believe they started in Greece. My Grandfather's family, Minisci, supposedly have been there since about 1300 and I believe they too came across the Adriatic to Italy.

My Dad's family, Miscioscia has been in Corato at least 300+ years, but I have no data before this so I would also like to trace this back as far as possible -- my efforts with the Church have been unsuccessful ---- I plan to try another approach at the library in Corato when I go there again. Il Comune di Corato has stated they have no records prior to 1809 and they have been very helpful, so I believe they are telling me the truth.

I will be in Italy for two weeks -- Venezia, Foligno (Umbria), Corato (BA), Foggia (FG), Grottammare (AP) and Roma. I have family in Corato, Foggia and Grottammare. My wife has a cousin in Roma.

The weather should be great and there won't be so many tourists (except in Venezia which is always mobbed).

Charlie

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New comune out of old Reply with quote

Quote::
Regarding universities, I would write to their History Department; also you might find a Professore with one of your Surnames.

Come to think of it, there is a professore with my surname that teaches in the
University of Cosenza...I'm sure Paolo told me this.

Calabria Exchange
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: