Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › Memories and Guides › Photo Swap and Fix It Shop › Aunt Carrie (circled) & Aunt Francie Firth Carpet challenge

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Aunt Carrie (circled) & Aunt Francie Firth Carpet challenge
Fix a photo or share a favorite picture.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Photo Swap and Fix It Shop Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Aunt Carrie (circled) & Aunt Francie Firth Carpet challenge Reply with quote

Finally uploaded this picture of the Firth Carpet Finishing Dept. in 1948. My Aunt Carrie Wawro is circled in red; I tried to remove it with filters, etc. Her sister, my Aunt Francie is third from left in the row below her.

My Aunt Carrie Augello worked there too before the war and told me they made rugs and carpets for franklin Roosevelt (including two for his dogs) at the White House and for Frank Sinatra, who I've been told lived here for awhile when a boy (still checking on that).

The only other person Aunt Carrie Wawro recognized was the lady seated on the far right who she said was called Tiny.

When I had copies made, the guys at the store said some of these ladies look like real troublemakers by their smiling poses. Sure wish I could have talked to them.

So, what do you think, Liz?

Dave
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Aunt Carrie (circled) & Aunt Francie Firth Carpet challe Reply with quote

Dave,

Was the Firth Carpet Company you mentioned located in Orange County near Orrs Mills in Firthcliffe, NY? The company was served by the New York, Ontario & Western Railway which was abandoned in March of 1958. Here's a pic of the station from 1959.

owrhs.org/FIRTHCLIFF2.jpg

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Aunt Carrie (circled) & Aunt Francie Firth Carpet challe Reply with quote

Biff,

The Firth Carpet Company (originally American Axminster) was on Columbus Street here in Auburn, NY. It was bought by Mohawk Carpet (Moshasco) and closed. My cousin said they smashed all the machines to make sure they couldn't be used again.

The Lehigh Valley station was nearby only the LV roundhouse is left) , across the street from the ALCO factory (sold to Bombardier and closed this year; was originally McIntosh and Seymour), which made many diesel engines for locomotives and submarines. The NY Central freight line used to run behind our house; occasionally a passenger train would get routed off the main line which followed the Erie Canal route north of here.

I have read your posts about WWII and railroads, esp in regards to the coal mining. Turns out a friend's family (Vivenzio) were miners in Hazle Town before they moved here, and my Uncle Al Impaglia's family is related to them, lived there too. The Black Diamond train went past Auburn to Geneva, but the freight line, called Southern Central, went straight through to the coal dock and pier at North Fair Haven on Lake Ontario. Most of this went to Canada.

I took out Robert Archer's book The History of the Lehigh Valley Railroad today to confirm the routes and photos.

Found this site though not much on the Auburn section:

Lehigh Valley Railroad

The Cayuga Museum put out several books of photographs of Auburn and Cayuga County with scenes of the interior of McIntosh & Seymour - the stationary steam engines were huge - and of the LV and NY Central stations. We have some postcards of these too.

A surveyor I worked with said he took the Black Diamond on his honeymoon.

Dave
chanchisfea
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Aunt Carrie (circled) & Aunt Francie Firth Carpet challe Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Here is the picture minus the circle Wink

Liz Cool

Transcripts for towns of Petrona' - San Vincenzo la Costa and Verzino, Italy Smile
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Aunt Carrie (circled) & Aunt Francie Firth Carpet challe Reply with quote

Sweet!

Dave is going to be so thrilled. Wink

Calabria Exchange
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Aunt Carrie (circled) & Aunt Francie Firth Carpet challe Reply with quote

Liz,
Okay, how did you do it? Guess I'll have to get the same software and work five years to find out. Of course, you realize that we (I) post these impossible (to us) photo faux pas so you will help us. And we bow...you should be a magician for halloween. What ever happened to that picture anyway?

I added a "by Liz" to the other picture so you would get credit, is that ok? And in the summary part of properties also entered "fixed by Liz" and "at Gente"

Thrilled is right Nuccia, as now I can send and make copies for Aunt Carrie. My cousin Monica suggested I make Xerox copies so Carrie and Aunt Sara (Monica's Mom) can put them on their bulletin boards. They are both at the same nursing home, so I see them at the same time. Wait till they see it.

Thank you again,

Dave

Halloween reminds me of the parties in Calif. esp at Ted's in San Anselmo: one guy came with a kitchen table around him, complete with breakfast. Another had a big piece of green foam rubber on, his green face sticking out, a turban and loincloth. Kim asked what he was supposed to be and he said "Mahatma Gumby" The guy who used to animate Gumby lived around there, but this wasn't him.

Last edited by DaveFerro on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
chanchisfea
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Aunt Carrie (circled) & Aunt Francie Firth Carpet challe Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

You are very welcome!

And you can do anything you want, credit is always good Wink

I use Paint Shop Pro (I have version 8 ) for all my graphics/picture restoration.

About the WW picture... Nuccia posted it somewhere in this forum...can't remember under what topic... I was wearing a cape Wink Mr. Green

Liz Cool

Transcripts for towns of Petrona' - San Vincenzo la Costa and Verzino, Italy Smile
DaveFerro
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Aunt Carrie (circled) & Aunt Francie Firth Carpet challe Reply with quote

Liz,

Always want to give credit where it is due.

I think I have a CD with Paint Shop Pro on it (free or trial version) but old. Probably can search for it on the web.

I thought the Wonder Woman pic had been taken off and whoever got whapped. And I would too by asking about it.

My friend Maryea (a wasp-waisted Spaniard in Calif) gave me a toy whale that she called the wacka-whale for some reason. On the bookshelf to remind me of her. She used to wave it in front of me and say the name. Miss that.

Anyway many more picture to show as they get scanned.

This is the wedding banquet for Aunt Carrie and Uncle Joe. My parents are in the middle left with my Aunt Eloise, who had Down's Syndrome. The Wawros on the left except Uncle Sam Bissi. Uncle Joe's brother, John was the Best Man. Granma and Granpa Bissi right back with Uncle Joe and Aunt Frances DeMarzio with son Dicky; on left Uncle Charlie and Aunt Antoinette Bissi with son Johnny.

Dave

Just realized you didn't tell the secret of how you done it.
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Photo Swap and Fix It Shop Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: