Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › They Came in Boats › Where do I begin? › Certificate of naturalization

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Certificate of naturalization
For help with starting your genealogy research.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chanchisfea
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

I was just doing a Google search for Naturalization Certificates and clicked on images... I found all kinds of them!!! Shocked Pretty cool though!!

James' and the one I found are about two years apart Wink

Liz Cool

Transcripts for towns of Petrona' - San Vincenzo la Costa and Verzino, Italy Smile
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

[quote]Certificate of Naturalization
Certificates were issued to new citizens upon completion of all citizenship requirements. As in the cases of declarations of intention and the petitions, the amount of information provided on the certificate may vary greatly from one year to another. In most cases, it contains little information other than the court, date, and name of new citizen. Beginning in 1929, naturalization certificates also included a photograph of the new citizen. They may contain other information, but the Declaration and Petition are usually the most helpful papers for genealogy researchers.

For those of us hoping for pictures on our certificates if we find them.

lilbees
JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Cathy wrote:
I'm jealous too! How come Jim and Liz's have pictures and mine do not?!! Must be the year it was issued. My grandfather's was issed in 1917 or 1918.

I think you're right, all of the three that I have were issued in the 1930's or 40's and have pictures.

here is another, my maternal great-grandmother Amelia Del Favero DaVia

Isn't her expression Priceless??? LOL

The picture keeps vanishing... here is the direct image link:

Nona Davia Citizenship Certificate

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Cool! I just went and dug up my grandparents naturalization certificates from the 1950"s and they have pictures on them too! The funny thing is is that they have the same pics I had stashed away that my mom gave me when I was younger.

You're right James. Her expression is priceless.

Calabria Exchange
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

All the certificates are beautiful James.

lilbees

JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

lilbees wrote:
All the certificates are beautiful James.

lilbees

Thank You, of course I have to admit Liz's Elizabeth Sharp is definitely the most striking of all!!

Smile

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Good afternoon.

After spending a great deal of time on the phone with the Circuit Clerk's office, who did not have copies of the certificates in their files, they gave me the US Dept of State site to search.

I have been busy trying to find out how or if I can obtain a copy of the certificate of naturalization for my naturalized family members. Guess what! The US Dept of State, Authentication office is the place. I emailed my request for a copy of one particular certificate of naturalization. The cost is $7.00 or $8.00. But............

You can obtain a "True Copy" which would be certified and can be used if you wanted to apply for a dual citizenship. If it requires to be Apostled or whatever then you have to camp in the nearest Dept of State Office, after making an appointment, furnishing all the necessary ID, etc.

I will have more information when they respond again to my email.

Still confusing! I did fill out the G-639 to obtain the "C File" for some of the others. That was a pain. But at least you can fill it out online and print it off.

I am probably not very clear but promise to be more so later. Any corrections or deletions are calmly accepted. Smile I who knows what I screwed up in the explanation.

lilbees
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Good morning. In reply to my email to the Authentication Office I received a reply this A.M.

"Please contact the U. S. Department of Homeland Security for a Certified True Copy of a Certificate of Naturalization. If you trying to use the document in Italy then you must forward the document to this office once you obtain the signature and seal at the U. S. Department of Homeland Security.

When submitting the document to this office you must include a cover letter stating your name, address, phone, country of use etc.... a prepaid preaddressed envelope and a fee of $8.00 per document made payable to the U.S. Department of State.

U.S. Department of State
Authentication Office
518 23rd Street, NW, SA-1
Washington, DC 20520

The response time was short. I am in the process of contacting Homeland Security. There doesn't seem to be any problem obtaining a copy of the Certificate of Naturalization. If you need more than a copy, obviously you have to go the long route as instructed. I did learn that the Authentication Dept. only handles about 15 cases per day for walkins but not much more for requests via snail mail. Homeland Security is not much faster.

Hopefully I will have the requested copies by the end of the year Rolling Eyes

lilbees
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Thanks for keeping us updated. Let us know how it turns out and keep us posted on any further developments. I'm sure others could use this info, too! Very Happy

Calabria Exchange
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

New Update...................things have changed. Contacted Homeland Security. For my request, because of the age of the document I am requesting, I was referred to the National Archives in Washington D.C. The National Archives referred me to the Regional Office which is in Chicago for the area my family member was naturalized. Emailed my request for a copy of the Certificate of Naturalization and for instructions to obtain a "True Copy" for the other family member. Am now waiting for a reply.

By the way, both the National Archives has a wonderful section for genealogy. The same is true for the Regional Archives. Explored a bit. They seem to have many other records that I could be interested in. In particular, my uncles military information which I understand is quite extensive from WW II. They have old documents as well as microfilm of many that would not be normally available.

This has been quite a learning experience for me. I am sure many others know about all this but new to me.

If the information I have given can be of use to anyone else that would be great.

The website for the National Archives is www.Archives.gov

Give it a try.

lilbees

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Quote::
Dear Researcher,

A NARA archivist has reviewed your question and provided you a response.

Ms. Yeoman, NATURALIZATION RECORDS AFTER 1906: US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) 1. After September 26, 1906, the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) collected a copy of each certificate of Naturalization issued, called certificate or "C" files. 2. For naturalizations after 1906, you should contact USCIS. 3. See uscis.gov/graphics/abo...natrec.htm 4. Or call the USCIC customer service number (1-800-375-5283). USCIS will charge a fee to complete your request.

The above is the response from the Regional NARA. I am now to file my papers for the "C-File" which should contain the Certificate of Naturalization" since it is dated 24 Sep 1924. At least I now know I can get a copy for sure.
Worth the wait for an answer before sending in paperwork.

All will be in the mail today.

lilbees
P.S. Will post the document when received for all to see.
stevenspringer
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

where did you find that? i only found this for mine

lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Was that paper from your family or the court? The court would hold the actual Intention, Petition and final oath for naturalization. There, even in 1917, is a certificate presented to the naturalized person. I have all my family's paperwork but not the certificate so I have now sent to obtain a copy of the certificate (C-files)
If that paper is from your family you may want to check around and see if you can find a copy of the the other papers and the certificate. Otherwise you will have to send for all that.

lilbees
stevenspringer
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

lilbees wrote:
Was that paper from your family or the court? The court would hold the actual Intention, Petition and final oath for naturalization. There, even in 1917, is a certificate presented to the naturalized person. I have all my family's paperwork but not the certificate so I have now sent to obtain a copy of the certificate (C-files)
If that paper is from your family you may want to check around and see if you can find a copy of the the other papers and the certificate. Otherwise you will have to send for all that.

lilbees
thats the only paper i have that was from my family, it was in an envelope.. i went threw them all Sad who should i contact and what should i contact them for? thanks in advance
lilbees
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Certificate of naturalization Reply with quote

Only a suggestion. Read through this entire post and you will know what to do. If you have more questions you can start your own thread and post your question.

good luck
lilbees

Page 2 of 3All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Where do I begin? Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: