Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Quitting smoking pointers....

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Quitting smoking pointers....
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

Based on what a lot of us have spent or are spending on cigarettes, we could probably pool our saved moneys and in a few years buy a small home/apartment in Southern Italy or Sicily. A Gente di Mare Timeshare! Now how cool is that?!

Biff
wldspirit
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

Now there is an idea worth saving for!!!

When I quit before, I learned to realize what my triggers were, talking on the phone, driving, the computer, after a meal.......and it wasn't the actual cigarette I missed, but having something in my hand. So I substituted Twizzlers for cigarettes...and it worked, until my hubbie came home from work one day with a cigarette in his mouth.... Evil or Very Mad
I had banned ANYONE from smoking around me or in the house, and as we had quit together, my resolve went right out the window when he "lit up" again.

Funny, all my kids grew up around smokers, yet none of them smoke....
my one son will throw a fit if you light one up in the car.....it could be 20 below out and he would roll down the window and lecture you on polluting his lungs with second hand smoke.

My husband had tried the Chantix, gave him very vivid nightmares....so he wouldn't take it after that.
Lee
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

All these wonderful ideas on how to stop smoking... But I was a three packs a day person for many, many years, and I didn't WANT to give up!

I rarely drank alcohol - not that I didn't like it - it didn't really interest me. The last time I went to a cinema was to see the 'premier' of JAWS (late 70's??)!!! I worked hard, sometimes 16-18 hours a day, travelled with my job often driving (or flying) up to 1500 miles a WEEK!

Now with such an exciting life - why the hell would I want to give up the one thing that provided me with some pleasure? And don't try and tell me (you smpkers out there) that you've not used similar arguments/reasons for your smoking habit. Oh - I forgot one... I paid for my cigarettes and I told 'others' who didn't like me smoking that when THEY paid for my fags then they could tell me what to do! (Bet that sounds familiar too - am I right?)

Early grave? Early schmave.... NOT ME! At least not 'til 31st March 2004!!!

That's when - having paid a 'deposit' on my house here in Italy - I was preparing to return to the UK to pack everything up and move.... BUT that night I had a massive heart attack and spent the next couple of weeks in the 're-animation' unit closed into an 'oxygen helmet'. My son was told to come to Milan in the next 36 hours if he wanted to say goodbye! Well - long story short - after those days in re-animation, then a further three weeks on the regular cardiac ward, and THEN another two months at a cardiac rehabilitation clinic just outside Milan - the thought of lighting up another cigarette never crossed my mind ONCE!

And this was my celebration on my April 'blog' on that fact on 1st April this year....

Sunday, April 01, 2007
Another year - HOORAY!

Yep...another year without 'the weed'!

I've now gone for THREE YEARS (at 11.45pm last night) without lighting up a fag!

No - I'm not going to say it was easy...well it was when I was in hospital thinking that 'My Maker' had come for me - but gradually that addiction and need lessened to the point that now I can freely admit (to myself) that "I don't smoke"....now that can't be bad.

Just think, if I had still been playing at being a chimney then I wouldn't have been able to get the house painted ...but I suppose I could have puffed smoke over the walls and had a delicate nicotine hue on the walls - hahaha

It still doesn't bother me at all when others smoke near me....It's even sort of nice (?) sometimes just to smell tobacco smoke. I can say that now because I KNOW I'll never be tempted again.

posted by Carole B @ 10:05 AM 4 comments links to this post

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

Biff83 wrote:
Based on what a lot of us have spent or are spending on cigarettes, we could probably pool our saved moneys and in a few years buy a small home/apartment in Southern Italy or Sicily. A Gente di Mare Timeshare! Now how cool is that?!

Biff

That is just about the coolest idea ever!! Very Happy

JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

Carole wrote:
All these wonderful ideas on how to stop smoking... But I was a three packs a day person for many, many years, and I didn't WANT to give up!

I rarely drank alcohol - not that I didn't like it - it didn't really interest me. The last time I went to a cinema was to see the 'premier' of JAWS (late 70's??)!!! I worked hard, sometimes 16-18 hours a day, travelled with my job often driving (or flying) up to 1500 miles a WEEK!

Now with such an exciting life - why the hell would I want to give up the one thing that provided me with some pleasure? And don't try and tell me (you smpkers out there) that you've not used similar arguments/reasons for your smoking habit. Oh - I forgot one... I paid for my cigarettes and I told 'others' who didn't like me smoking that when THEY paid for my fags then they could tell me what to do! (Bet that sounds familiar too - am I right?)

Early grave? Early schmave.... NOT ME! At least not 'til 31st March 2004!!!

That's when - having paid a 'deposit' on my house here in Italy - I was preparing to return to the UK to pack everything up and move.... BUT that night I had a massive heart attack and spent the next couple of weeks in the 're-animation' unit closed into an 'oxygen helmet'. My son was told to come to Milan in the next 36 hours if he wanted to say goodbye! Well - long story short - after those days in re-animation, then a further three weeks on the regular cardiac ward, and THEN another two months at a cardiac rehabilitation clinic just outside Milan - the thought of lighting up another cigarette never crossed my mind ONCE!

And this was my celebration on my April 'blog' on that fact on 1st April this year....

Sunday, April 01, 2007
Another year - HOORAY!

Yep...another year without 'the weed'!

I've now gone for THREE YEARS (at 11.45pm last night) without lighting up a fag!

No - I'm not going to say it was easy...well it was when I was in hospital thinking that 'My Maker' had come for me - but gradually that addiction and need lessened to the point that now I can freely admit (to myself) that "I don't smoke"....now that can't be bad.

Just think, if I had still been playing at being a chimney then I wouldn't have been able to get the house painted ...but I suppose I could have puffed smoke over the walls and had a delicate nicotine hue on the walls - hahaha

It still doesn't bother me at all when others smoke near me....It's even sort of nice (?) sometimes just to smell tobacco smoke. I can say that now because I KNOW I'll never be tempted again.

posted by Carole B @ 10:05 AM 4 comments links to this post

Carole, first of all congrats on the THREE YEARS!!! That is wonderful!

I have known people who were given the same sort of "give it up or else" ultimateum and have chosen to ignore it. You showed so much strength in your decision to quit and never look back, I look to you as an example (and I sure do need one right about now, it is kind of rough at the moment).

Thanks everyone for all your advice and support, you all really are giving me strength!

*Giant Hug*

Very Happy

MikeSavoca91
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

Well, Jim I am glad you are stopping! Carole, Biff, congrats to you too. I will never smoke! I buried 2 grandfathers, and listen to my mom hack and cough everyday. Please all you smokers try to stop, we are all here to help, and think about how your kids would love that.

Alessandra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

I don't smoke, I have smoked my first cigarette to 12/13 and then I have decided that didn't like me...
My youth father smoked 2 packages of Marlboro a day, him decided to stop because the bellows were as those of an old man.
He ate packages of candy, it put in mouth of it 2/3 to the time. Even this method can help you.

JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: something to do to pass the time... Reply with quote

I am trying to find things to do to make me not think about smoking, like cook... about the only thing I am good at baking is my Cherry Cheesecake (I even crush my own graham crackers by hand). The different thing is that the cherries are inside the cake, my family goes nuts for it, and since I need to occupy myself a bit more than usual I made two of these last night...

yeap ... Riccardo was spot on, the weight should start piling on now...

(I am 6' 150 so it might take a while, think of all the fun I can have in the mean time!)

Very Happy

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

WOW!! Those look great. Cheesecake is another weakness of mine!! I'd like a slice, please! lol

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

OMG James..They look amazing! Can you post the recipe for it? If we make it over there James, you know you have to bake for us, right? party

Calabria Exchange
wldspirit
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

My absolute favorite........cheesecake......yummy!!!!!!
And those look sooo good..... lol
Can ya figure out a way to send me some???

On another note........I am going to try this one more time......I have two packs left, and I am not going back for more. Seeing the weekly cost added up over a years time is a real eye opener, I can think of numerous things to spend two grand on!!!!!

And I still have hard candy from my earlier attempt this year......now Biff...
can ya get started on that "time share"....... Razz
Lee
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

Lee I was thinking the same thing. I have one pack left..tonight at mid night maybe?

Of course, I'll have to send everyone to my mom's for a few days..I can just tell what kind of a mood I'm going to be in! hide

Calabria Exchange
JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

wldspirit wrote:
My absolute favorite........cheesecake......yummy!!!!!!
And those look sooo good..... lol
Can ya figure out a way to send me some???

On another note........I am going to try this one more time......I have two packs left, and I am not going back for more.

I wish I could!! Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts too! (and these are mega rich, I don't mix in Sour Cream like so many people do)

That's fantastic Lee that you are going to try again, it's really tough I know, never give up trying!

Very Happy

wldspirit
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

Nuccia.....we talked about this earlier in the year, of course I failed....but now with so many of us......why not give it another shot??

And think of the extra money to be saved!!! Had I done this two years ago....I already would have been to Italy and back again....... Embarassed

As for being a "moody witch" with a capital B....I've been one all week.....so I might as well have another reason to play Oscar the Grouch...

And with Lou's recent heart problems, well it's just another motivator.....
like James said, never give up trying......WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!
Lee
goganga
Dev
Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking pointers.... Reply with quote

Wow James!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

A man who's able to cook such a wonderful cake.... James, do you want to marry me?!? Mr. Green
  Page 2 of 3All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: