Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:54 pm
    ----
I am not able to find anything on Giorgio Gigliotta's wife, my great grandmother. we think her name was Lena Accardo. The story goes that Giorgio saw Lena on the boat and vowed to marry her, but she was only 12 and had to wait for a few years. Is there a Lena Accardo on the same manifest as Giorgio????If so where is she from, how old?

Check out the Ellis Island manifest for:

Giorgio Gigliotta, Sawbura, Girgenti, Nov 07, 1910 Line 0017

On the actual record, the town is clearly Sambuca

#2: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:41 pm
    ----
Couldn't find Lena on the same manifest.

Page 1
www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0030

Page 2
www.ellisisland.org/EI...&line=0030

1920 Census for Lena - Shows her age as 7 on the census and living in Louisiana - possibility?
img101.imageshack.us/i...rdowd7.jpg

Let me know if this census matches Lena's family

#3: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:56 pm
    ----
on his WWI draft registration card, Giorgio's wife is listed as Filippina (Philippina).

#4: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:08 pm
    ----
My grandmother Elizabeth, Lena's daughter, was born in Patterson Louisiana. They eventually moved to Beaumont Texas. I can't open the census.

#5: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:13 pm
    ----
Lena had brothers and sisters who settled in the Rockford Illinois area I think maybe Rockford Illinois; Carlos, Katie, Josephine. Another sister Nancy married an Ippolito and lived/dies in Beaumont Texas.

#6: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:16 pm
    ----
It opens ok for me. Jim or some else on the forum...........see if you can open the census link. Thanks

#7: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:20 pm
    ----
It opens for me too. I wonder if this George Gigliotta on the WWI Draft Card is the same one then. He was the exact same age, and lived in Chicago. Chicago is where your Giorgio was going in 1910.

Given what he said about Patterson LA, your census looks like the right family (there is a Katie also!)

Could Giorgio have had a first wife before Lena?

The surname is so rare, to find a Giorgio the same age and the same place would be nearly impossible.

#8: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:24 pm
    ----
Filippa Garogliano a few lines up from Giorgio and her age is 13. Fits with Jims WWI find. Maybe a new piece to your puzzle.

#9: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:35 pm
    ----
Lena died 8 Apr 1969 in Beaumont, Jefferson County, TX

Correction: Elizabeth Gigliotta born Nov 30, 1904

#10: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:45 pm
    ----
Who was Elizabeth Gigliotta born 1904? Giorgio came here in 1910 so that couldn't have been his daughter as he was single at the time.

Could Lena have been a nick name for Filippina?

I also can't seem to find Giorgio in the 1920/1930 census. He should be in Jefferson County Texas in 1920, because he had a stillborn daughter recorded in the death records in 1919.

<---confused

Shocked

#11: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:48 pm
    ----
1930 census for Giorgio (George) Gigliotta and wife Lena with the kids. 3 kids born in Louisiana, 1 in Missouri and the rest in Texas
img135.imageshack.us/i...susfr5.jpg

#12: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:51 pm
    ----
James I am pretty sure you are correct about Giorgio going to Chicago but his only wife was Lena, would Lena have been short for Fillipinna??? Giorgio also had these brothers.....Alex, Colie/Cola; Nick; and maybe a Joe. We know his brothers lived in Chicago area.

My mom told me she thought Lena'a real name was Antionette but she has no proof.

#13: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:51 pm
    ----
JamesBianco wrote:
Who was Elizabeth Gigliotta born 1904?
johnlabarbera wrote:
My grandmother Elizabeth, Lena's daughter, was born in Patterson Louisiana. They eventually moved to Beaumont Texas. I can't open the census.

Elizabeth would be the daughter of Lena, Johns grandmother.

#14: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:52 pm
    ----
Very interesting!!

The 1910 Giorgio manifest appears to be not the right one then, as he was listed as single, and this census states he came in 1899. His children were all born here.

He may not have been from Sambuca then....

We should look for an 1899 manifest, and a possible 1900-1903 marriage in Louisiana.

#15: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:53 pm
    ----
BINGO! That is the family Elizabeth now I need to find out more info on Lena!

-> General Discussion Groups