Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife
-> General Discussion Groups

#16: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:54 pm
    ----
Jim how did you get the WWI draft card to post like that? I'd like to do that for the census records if possible instead of linking them.

#17: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:58 pm
    ----
JamesBianco wrote:
Very interesting!!

The 1910 Giorgio manifest appears to be not the right one then, as he was listed as single, and this census states he came in 1899. His children were all born here.

He may not have been from Sambuca then....

We should look for an 1899 manifest, and a possible 1900-1903 marriage in Louisiana.

I think you're right Jim and if you look at the 1930 census they're only 4 years apart in age. I now the census info can be wrong but it's a starting point.

#18: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:02 pm
    ----
BillieDeKid wrote:
Jim how did you get the WWI draft card to post like that? I'd like to do that for the census records if possible instead of linking them.

I have my own domains (which I pay for) all I need to do is upload the image and then link it. With 300G of space, I can spare.

Wink

#19: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:03 pm
    ----
George died in Jefferson County , Texas on 1 Aug 1944.

#20: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:04 pm
    ----
BillieDeKid wrote:

I think you're right Jim and if you look at the 1930 census they're only 4 years apart in age. I now the census info can be wrong but it's a starting point.

No that birthyear (1888) is correct for Lena, her death in 1969 lists her as age 81.

We need to find a 1910 census to start... they were already here apparently.

I noticed the 4 years apart thing too. It's interesting how family stories are often a little bit of fact and a little bit of ....

I have enough of them in my family to publish a book!

Smile

#21: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:14 pm
    ----
I've got two (for reference) coming to New Orleans in 1897

297 GIGLIOTTA NICOLO 51 M SICILY SAMBUCA
729 GIGLIOTTA ROSALIA 33 F SICILY SAMBUCA

1898 manifest
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0020

Jim what do you think.

John take a look at the relatives he's meeting up with and see if the surname looks familiar - Palmeri

Edit to add name of relative

Last edited by BillieDeKid on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total

#22: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:17 pm
    ----
BillieDeKid wrote:
I've got two (for reference) coming to New Orleans in 1897

297 GIGLIOTTA NICOLO 51 M SICILY SAMBUCA
729 GIGLIOTTA ROSALIA 33 F SICILY SAMBUCA

1898 manifest
www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0020

Jim what do you think.

John take a look at the relatives he's meeting up with and see if the surname looks familiar.

That linked manifest image is him, without a doubt. I think it's really strange how he was from Sambuca yet sailed out of Genoa...

That is definitely a long haul, you probably couldn't get further from Sambuca and still be in Italy...

and notice the way his surname is spelled "Gugliotta"

Great find!!!

#23: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:33 pm
    ----
Thanks Jim. I still can't find a census for him. I was trying to run the name of the cousin he was going to but I can't make the surname out very well.

Edit to add comment...........surname is Palmeri.

#24: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:40 am
    ----
No Palmeri does not mean anything to me...I have a cousin who may know something more I will ask him...thanks John

#25: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:55 pm
    ----
My cousin has the flu will be a few days before I want to bother him...my mother is going to get Lena and George's death certificates tomorrow maybe they will have some details. It would be great to find their marriage record I jusy don't know where they were married. Their first born was in Patterson, Louisiana but maybe they got married in Chicago first I really don't know. I think we will have some records to ponder soon though. Thanks to all for your efforts....

#26: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:20 am
    ----
My cousin thinks Giorgio is from here...

Agrigento (Girgenti in Sicilian) is a city on the southern coast of Sicily, Italy, and capital of the province of Agrigento. It is renowned as the site of the ancient Greek city of Akragras (a.k.a. Acragas in Greek, Agrigentum in Latin, and Kerkent in Arabic), one of the leading cities of Magna Graecia during the golden age of Ancient Greece.

I will find out more when he is well...

#27: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:52 am
    ----
Agrigento pictures my cousin gave me.

#28: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:06 am
    ----
Wow, that is beautiful!

#29: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:47 am
    ----
Sambuca is in the province of Agrigento (Girgenti), the manifest Elizabeth found for Giorgio (oddly sailing from Genova) said he was from Sambuca.

#30: Re: Giorgio Gigliotta Wife Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:20 am
    ----
Yes i think my cousin will be pleasantly surprised on this discovery he is going to Sicily this summer and in the past could not find Girgenti so I am hopeful this will solve his puzzle.

-> General Discussion Groups