Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Gaetano LaBarbera - New Orleans Street Car
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Gaetano LaBarbera - New Orleans Street Car Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:55 am
    ----

Gaetano my great grandfather was a driver/motorman of the famous New Orleans streetcar for over 42 years. He was part of the strike that created the famous New Orleans po boy sandwich. When the drivers went on strike once in the 20's or 30's, the local population sympathized with them, and brought them roast beef and other types of sandwiches for them 'poor boys'.

If anyone has been to New Orleans, you will know there is no other city like it in the USA. They have there own dialect that is unique within the city.

I was there just a few months after Hurricane Katrina devasted it in 2006 since my cousins still live there and yes one of Gaetano's daughters, my Aunt Agnes is still alive there, it was unbelievable to see the destruction, and the city is still not the same. The public library which has all the genealogical records is still under repair.

But they will come back as always as there is a lot of pride there in that city...New Orleans is a special place in my family history, you should try to visit sometime if you have never been there...

#2: Re: Gaetano LaBarbera - New Orleans Street Car Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:28 am
    ----
John that's a great photo of your great grandfather. I was in New Orleans before Katrina and had a great time there. The people and the city itself are unique and you should be proud.

You might want to post your photo on the photo fix forum here on Gente. Liz has done some fantistic work restoring and cleaning members photo's. I'll be she can make this photo of your great grandfather look like new.

#3: Re: Gaetano LaBarbera - New Orleans Street Car Author: LauraLocation: Italy - Liguria PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:40 am
    ----
John,

thank you for share with us your family's history and your feeling about it....
I think all the italian immigrants were special people, they left their loved ones, their places and worked very hard to give better opportunities to their families, in Usa and in Italy....

Laura Razz

#4: Re: Gaetano LaBarbera - New Orleans Street Car Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:49 am
    ----
Priceless picture! You are so lucky that it has survived the test of time.

#5: Re: Gaetano LaBarbera - New Orleans Street Car Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:19 am
    ----
What an amazing picture, John! I think Liz should be able to fix it up when she has a minute. Post it and see what happens.

#6: Re: Gaetano LaBarbera - New Orleans Street Car Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:49 pm
    ----
Hi John,

Not sure if you've seen this site. Nice historical pics and information on the New Orleans trolleys.

www-faculty.cs.uiuc.ed.../Album.htm

Biff

#7: Re: Gaetano LaBarbera - New Orleans Street Car Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:59 pm
    ----
Biff that is a great link. Did you check out the tokens and badges?

#8: Re: Gaetano LaBarbera - New Orleans Street Car Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:19 pm
    ----
I love that picture. It is fortunate that you have a picture of him in his uniform. Trolleys and streetcars were extremely important in their day since most families at the time could not afford a car. My father has told so many streetcar stories I could write a book!
Biff – I love that site! I would love to download all your bookmarks one day! You have the most fascinating links!

#9: Re: Gaetano LaBarbera - New Orleans Street Car Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:51 pm
    ----
Thanks all...I would love to find a picture of Car No. 849, that was the car he drove at the time of his picture, note number on his hat...

#10: Re: Gaetano LaBarbera - New Orleans Street Car Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:58 pm
    ----
I emailed the author of the site that Biff linked us to, I asked for street car 849, but he told me the number on Gaetano's cap does not correspond to a street car, rather it us likely the employee # as they changed cars they drove often.....that is good to know....thanks again Biff.

-> General Discussion Groups