Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: What is the meaning and origin of my surname?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: What is the meaning and origin of my surname? Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:10 pm
    ----
Ok so I go to free translation service and I put in La Barbera and out comes the Barbery horse....so originally I thought I was a barber and now I am thinking I am named after a horse??? Mr. Green

Anyone know how to find out about your surname other than the coat of arms websites? Razz

#2: Re: What is the meaning and origin of my surname? Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:37 pm
    ----
I found this
http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/cognomi0010.htm

La Barbera sembrerebbe specifico della Sicilia occidentale e dovrebbe derivare da un soprannome collegato al mestiere di barbiere.

La Barbera seems to be typical of the western Sicily and should derive from a nickname connected to the barber job.

#3: Re: What is the meaning and origin of my surname? Author: johnlabarberaLocation: Katy Texas USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:09 pm
    ----
that's a great link thanks again livio

#4: Re: What is the meaning and origin of my surname? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:11 pm
    ----
One of my family names sounds great......."nightingale" or song of the nightingale.

lilbees

-> General Discussion Groups