Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Installing My Printer
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: Installing My Printer Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:12 am
    ----
Ok, so I have a new PC which runs Vista and while I don't really mind the program, I am having some issues. I can't get my printer to install..and PSP keeps shutting down on me.

I can't believe the amount of "patches" I have to download to get things to work correctly. No wonder all the new computers come with a larger hard drive. You need to install all this extra s*** to get things to work!

Thought I would never use this icon again but one more time....

neclord

#2: Re: Installing My Printer Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:54 pm
    ----
Going to my new system with Vista, I read up on what would be needed. My other system was 10+ years old and so was my printer and scanner. So, I knew up front that along with the new printer I would need the new printer and scanner. Set up of my system was easy and installing the other new equipment was also a breeze. I figure if my old stuff lasted at least the 10 yrs then I have at least 10 on the new one and the equipment.

The hardest thing was to find that much of my software wouldn't install under Vista. I learned the hard way not to try and install it under the compatibility mode. Once you have it installed that way it won't uninstall in Add/Remove programs. You have to do it piece by piece.

The only consolation to all of this is the newer stuff is so much improved that I am not sorry for the added expense. In the end it was all worth it. Of course, I had to space my purchases out over time. The hardest to do without was the scanner which I purchased last.

I did have the opportunity to donate all my old stuff including the software to an agency that helps abused women to get back on their feet and to learn some skills. So, again, it was worth it all. I love all my new stuff including working under Vista with no problems.

A big hug for you in making the transitions.

lilbees

#3: Re: Installing My Printer Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:08 pm
    ----
Thanks libees! I actually got my printer to work without too much trouble. I went online, checked for the drivers and it did the rest. I think I'm liking this. I actually like Vista believe it or not.

#4: Re: Installing My Printer Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:46 pm
    ----
I had to buy a new PC about 3-4 months ago and it came loaded with VISTA. At first I was sorry that I didn't shop harder for one loaded with XP and I actuaslly researched doing a "downgrade back to XP" but now I actually like it.

It turned out to cost more as I had to replace some software with newer versions. If you use FTM 2006, there is a patch available so it works with VISTA; I have been told to stay away from FTM 2008 as it is incomplete (as compared to FTM 2006).

Some quirky things still occur in VISTA, but so far it seems to work OK...

#5: Re: Installing My Printer Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:46 am
    ----
I guess we are all pretty happy with our new systems. And vista has turned out to be not so bad to most of us.

Just a side note: in the Ancestry Store they were giving away FTM 2006 Free!. I have come across this same thing in various places. For those who want a good program free is great. I do keep both FTM 2006 and FTM 2008. What one can't do I do in the other. Only a GEDCOM away.

Have fun

lilbees

#6: Re: Installing My Printer Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:17 am
    ----
I haven't even attempted to download my FTM2006 yet. I am so afraid of wasting my whole day to get it to work and I need to be in the right frame of mind. At some point today I really need to walk away from this computer and take care of things around the house. Thankfully, I'm not too far behind in my housework but I really want to go shopping too and visit my mom. Lets see how the day goes...lol.

Charlie, I heard that it costs quite a bit to downgrade because Microsoft has made a deal with the Manufacturers (such as Acer and HP) that certain components in the towers can only be Vista compatible (like the USB Ports and such). Not sure how much truth is in this but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm just happy I can get anything to work ..lol

#7: Re: Installing My Printer Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:47 am
    ----
Just a standard install for FTM 2006. You will get a notice when you have installed FTM for the Vista patch to install. Simple.............hardly any work.

lilbees

#8: Re: Installing My Printer Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:58 am
    ----
Ok..thanks. I'll try it now. Wish me luck! kiss

#9: Re: Installing My Printer Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:47 pm
    ----
nuccia wrote:
I haven't even attempted to download my FTM2006 yet. I am so afraid of wasting my whole day to get it to work and I need to be in the right frame of mind. At some point today I really need to walk away from this computer and take care of things around the house. Thankfully, I'm not too far behind in my housework but I really want to go shopping too and visit my mom. Lets see how the day goes...lol.

Charlie, I heard that it costs quite a bit to downgrade because Microsoft has made a deal with the Manufacturers (such as Acer and HP) that certain components in the towers can only be Vista compatible (like the USB Ports and such). Not sure how much truth is in this but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm just happy I can get anything to work ..lol

I think that the real difficulty would be getting all the drivers for the hardware that would be compatible with XP ----- I had done some research and decided it would just be easier going with Vista and upgrading a few applications (although Office 2007 was pricey)...

#10: Re: Installing My Printer Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:50 pm
    ----
I stayed with Office 2003 and it works great. Can't think of upgrading to 2007 just now. Not in the list of immediate priorities for software since what I have works. I do mourn the loss of some of the smaller software I had but maybe the companies will eventually put out a new version that will work.

lilbees

#11: Re: Installing My Printer Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:11 pm
    ----
I heard that if you have 2003 you could upgrade to 2007 for free. Now I haven't checked into this for sure since I already have 2007 so I can't really say.

My big problem right now is downloading acrobat reader. Its not allowing me to at all. Has anyone else had this problem?

#12: Re: Installing My Printer Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:13 pm
    ----
Nuccia, you know I have Vista. I didn't have any problem with acrobat. Sorry. BTW, FTM installed really easy. It finds the patch for you - all you do is download. No problems.

#13: Re: Installing My Printer Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:54 pm
    ----
Thanks Guys,

I installed it and it found the patch.

Now I just need to find my back up file with all the research already on it..... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

#14: Re: Installing My Printer Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:00 pm
    ----
Acrobat has a new version. Go to the Adobe Website and download there.

#15: Re: Installing My Printer Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:46 pm
    ----
lilbees wrote:
Acrobat has a new version. Go to the Adobe Website and download there.

I tried but it won't let me... Evil or Very Mad

-> PC Info and Guides