Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Email or letter?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Email or letter? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:50 am
    ----
Is an email to the Stato Civile as effective as a written letter (in Italian of course) in getting records? Or an email and a written letter?

think

lilbees

#2: Re: Email or letter? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:20 am
    ----
I would send a written letter. I have never tried an e-mail.

#3: Re: Email or letter? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:00 pm
    ----
The few comunes that I have tried to contact via Email (for personal reasons) have always made sure that the majority of messages received from the public are treated as 'spam' - thus avoiding the need to respond. That 'may' be understandable in a large city like Milano, but I find it unforgiveable in a small village like mine with a population of just 1020!

I agree that the best way is by letter via standard post. But from a purely personal point of view, if I was sending such requests to small towns/villages then I would take a chance and address them to the Mayor! That way you may actually get a reply...

#4: Re: Email or letter? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:07 pm
    ----
Thanks all. I will say that in most cases I have not only sent an email but also mailed a hard copy and enclosing a self-addressed return envelope (which, thanks to GentiDiMare I had not done previously).

After receiving a confirmation from the Archivo Salernoabout the mailing of a record, it looks like they had a hard time filling out the envelope to mail that to me.

Gave me more reason to make sure I enclosed a self-addressed envelope.

lilbees

#5: Re: Email or letter? Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:02 pm
    ----
I've only sent emails and have gotten EVERYTHING I have asked for free of charge! Hell, I didn't even pay postage!

#6: Re: Email or letter? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:08 pm
    ----
Hey Mike, you do help me to feel better for some of those emails I sent w/o mailing a letter as backup. I have sent to the Salerno Archives and the Roccapiemonte Stato Civile. Some going back to September 07, although I feel that the letters may be more solid. At $.90/ea. for stamps it adds up.

Love to hear more about this subject and others experiences.

lilbees

#7: Re: Email or letter? Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:10 pm
    ----
My town (Castiglione Di Sicilia) is a small town, my emails were answered in no more then 2 weeks! They must hate me by now lol. Don't worry you will hear back at some point I am sure.

#8: Re: Email or letter? Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:39 am
    ----
lilbees wrote:
Is an email to the Stato Civile as effective as a written letter (in Italian of course) in getting records? Or an email and a written letter?

think

lilbees

I have received docs with both forms of request ---- some towns have the Sindaco's email --- that works even better ---- always write in Italian and I make sure that my return address is plain to see. I usually ask that they tell me what the fees for copies and postage are, but I have never been asked for money. I once wrote to the Community Library in Corato and my email was answered by my buddy [my earlier bribes of a Phillies baseball cap and a Liberty Bell keychain] in Civil Records which is about 3 blocks away......I had wanted to know if the Town had a copy of the Catasti Onciari (Census) for 1754 and I thought that the Library might know this info.

-> General Discussion Groups