Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Cache of letters
-> Translations

#16: Re: Cache of letters Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:56 pm
    ----
The photos are all beautiful! You must be proud to have family pictures

lilbees

#17: Re: Cache of letters Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:47 pm
    ----
ahhh ok, i went through all of my photos Sad all i have is photos from the 1920s and later

#18: Re: Cache of letters Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:20 am
    ----
The photos from Sicily were either sent to my grandfather to the US or were photos he brought with him when he emigrated. The marriage photo was taken in Philadelphia in 1912. Judging from several of the photos I have, one popular style for photos was a postcard style--photo on one side with a postcard arrangement on the other side with space for correspondence, address and stamp. I have a number of photos of this style which were made in various photo studios in Philadelphia.
As I mentioned before, the contact with relatives in Italy has cooled; I had hoped that there would be sufficient interest to locate the other "half" of the conversation in the cache of letters that were translated for me by the fantastic group of translators on this site as well as the possibility of sharing some photos of Gaetano.

#19: Re: Cache of letters Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:03 am
    ----
If you dont mind me asking, How did you obtain these photos? did you find them here in the states from your family or did you get them from family or something over in italy?

#20: Re: Cache of letters Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:27 am
    ----
Thanks for translating the note on the back of that photo. I have posted several photos on my blog. You can get to the photos directly at Dragotto
The photos are old and in rather poor condition. I've done some touch up work in iPhoto until I get around to using a better photo editing program. I have doubts about some of the photos, particularly the one which my family tells me is one with my granfather and his parents. The photo is a copy of a copy of the original which my uncle has; he also has the original of the marriage photo of my grandmother and grandfather.
I haven't received any correspondence from Gaetano's descendants since out first or second contact so I am basing my belief that Gaetano is pictured in the photos of the young man in a military uniform --quite handsome and debonair with his cigarette, which I suppose was the thing to do at the time.
I am expecting to receive more photos to digitize; however, family dynamics being what they are, the time table is rather unpredictable. And, I have no idea how many will be photos taken in Sicily.

#21: Re: Cache of letters Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:49 am
    ----
Carole wrote:
Dearest brother and dearest sister in law , remember [of you] after many years - [I send you] this photo is me your sister Stefania and my son. I have three children one married that is found at Mantova dear kisses for you and your dear wife kisses to your children
Your sister Stefa

Luca

#22: Re: Cache of letters Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:20 am
    ----
liviomoreno wrote:
Dearest brother and dearest sister in law , remember me after many years - this photo is me your sister Stefania and my son. I have three children, one [a girl] is married and lives in Mantova
dear kisses for you and your dear wife kisses to your children
Your sister Stefania ["nia" is written before the words "tua sorella"]

Well there ya go.... (thank heavens for the boys)
Thanks Livio! kiss

PS Why is it always SO easy to see when someone else tells you? Embarassed

#23: Re: Cache of letters Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:07 am
    ----
Dearest brother and dearest sister in law , remember me after many years - this photo is me your sister Stefania and my son. I have three children, one [a girl] is married and lives in Mantova
Your sister Stefania ["nia" is written before the words "tua sorella"]

#24: Re: Cache of letters Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:39 pm
    ----
this gives me hope! Smile Next thing i shall get is Innocenzos brothers and sisters! I WILL GET PICTURES Very Happy

#25: Re: Cache of letters Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:33 pm
    ----
tjbrn wrote:
I just got this Dragotto photo taken in Belmonte:
img293.imageshack.us/i...ttomk2.jpg

This writing was on the back.
img135.imageshack.us/i...otefe6.jpg

I have some very old photos that I will upload to the gallery section later. One of the photos may be of Gaetano, but I'm not certain about that.

Great photo Tom... Finally a face to the Dragotto name!
The writing on the back says.... But there are two words which I'm afraid beat me... Embarassed

Dearest brother and dearest sister in law , remember me after many years - this photo is me your sister Stefania and my son. I have three children one Pxxxxx(?) that is found at xxxxxxxxxx(?)
Your sister Stefa

#26: Re: Cache of letters Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:46 pm
    ----
OMG!! I love it!! A face to all these letters! Thank you so much for sharing Tom! Very Happy

#27: Re: Cache of letters Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:18 pm
    ----
I just got this Dragotto photo taken in Belmonte:
img293.imageshack.us/i...ttomk2.jpg

This writing was on the back.
img135.imageshack.us/i...otefe6.jpg

I have some very old photos that I will upload to the gallery section later. One of the photos may be of Gaetano, but I'm not certain about that.

#28: Re: Cache of letters Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:50 pm
    ----
Definitely Arriverderci!!!

Luca,

Only the friendliness in Hardy, not the other.

Carole,

I just started a batch (5 gallons) of pale ale this afternoon. I'll bottle it in about a week and it will be ready for consumption in six more weeks.

Next on the list is a batch of viognier, once the ale is bottled.

#29: Re: Cache of letters Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:59 pm
    ----
tjbrn wrote:
I am truly grateful to all of the fine people on the Gente forum for their encouragement, support and camaraderie. I am especially indebted to two wonderful people, Carole and Luca, whom I simply cannot praise enough for the kindness and generosity that they have extended to a complete stranger. What a world it would be indeed if all strangers received such gracious treatment!
What a pleasure it would be to meet up in Luca's BAR Wink where we could "set us down to wet right many a nipperkin".
I leave it to you, Carole, to translate this and to give due props to Thomas Hardy!

Addio, Addio

Thank you Tom you are very kind, and yes it would be nice to met up in Luca's bar for a nipperkin of ale...
The only nipperkin I know of is a 'west country' (Devon and Cornwall) measure of ale. It is also features in the folk song called The Barley Mow... if you listen very carefully here you will here it referred to.

>"THE BARLEY MOW"<
So perhaps we could sit us down there and drink us a 'nipperkin' together...

Oh by the way - did you really mean ADDIO? That usually means a definite GOODBYE... surely you mean Arriverderci - which is a 'temporary goodbye' and means See you again!

#30: Re: Cache of letters Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:36 pm
    ----
tjbrn wrote:

What a pleasure it would be to meet up in Luca's BAR Wink where we could "set us down to wet right many a nipperkin".
I leave it to you, Carole, to translate this and to give due props to Thomas Hardy!

Qui c'è bisogno dell'aiuto di Carole, perché sembrerebbe un incontro poco... felice in quel bar; ma sicuramente non colgo il senso poetico Wink

Had he and I but met
By some old ancient inn,
We should have set us down to wet
Right many a nipperkin!

But ranged as infantry,
And staring face to face,
I shot at him as he at me,
And killed him in his place.

I shot him dead because--
Because he was my foe,
Just so: my foe of course he was;
That's clear enough; although