Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help with name???
-> Non-Italian Genealogy

#1: Help with name??? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:50 pm
    ----
I received a copy of a death record for a family member and I cannot make out quite what it is.

The information is typed (in english) but one of the letters in the name got skipped or the type was bad.

The name is Antone Se_on born 1881. He is from Korce, Albania. Anyone have a guess? Or is there a website of Albanian names?

lilbees

#2: Re: Help with name??? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:07 pm
    ----
Here is a site on Albanian names: www.aboutnames.ch/albanian.htm
I do not see any SE names there....

#3: Re: Help with name??? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:20 pm
    ----
Thanks Cathy, I will go and browse the listing. Really appreciate it.

lilbees

#4: Re: Help with name??? Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:20 pm
    ----
Possiblities

Semon
Seton

From this site
names.mongabay.com/anc...anian.html

Hope it helps.

Elizabeth

#5: Re: Help with name??? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:08 pm
    ----
Korce is quite close to the border with Greece so it might be a Greek based name.... Might be worth a look.
>Greek Surnames<

Albania was annexed by Italy in the 1930's - see note here:

"In 1939 Italy under Mussolini annexed Albania. Following Italy's 1943 surrender to Allied Powers during World War II German troops occupied the country. Partisan bands including the communist-led National Liberation Front (NLF) gained control in November 1944 following the German withdrawal. Since Yugoslav communists were instrumental in creating the Albanian communist Party of Labor in November 1941 the NLF regime led by Enver Hoxha became a virtual satellite of Yugoslavia until the Tito-Stalin split in 1948. Subsequently Albania's hard-line brand of communism led to growing difficulties with the Soviet Union under Krushchev coming to a head in 1961 when the Soviet leaders openly denounced Albania at a party congress. The two states broke diplomatic relations later that year. However Albania continued nominal membership in the Warsaw Pact until the 1968 invasion of Czechoslovakia."

#6: Re: Help with name??? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:08 pm
    ----
I want to thank all for the suggestions.

I am still stumped. But, there is hope. I have more documents coming and hopefully they will have the right information. I learned the youngest son of that family gave the information on the death certificate.

I am now waiting for the SS Application for his father so at least I won't have to guess. Only somewhat costly to have to resort to that but it has helped me in so many other ways with other family members. So again, patience. Wink

lilbees

#7: Re: Help with name??? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:12 pm
    ----
Forgot to add, VJ on another forum told me there are church records microfilmed at the FHC for Korce, Albania. Never thought I would be able to find anything from the "old" country for any of that part of the family. Surprise!!!

lilbees

p.s. Only one small problem left. Need to find someone who can read Albanian/Greek/Ottoman Turkish. Most of the people I know who could are now dead. Nuts! But, the Greek Church in Illinois has offered to find someone to interpret the records for me. I just have to find out if I can copy them to a CD. Will call later to find out. Just an F.Y.I.

-> Non-Italian Genealogy