Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: can someone tell me what year this photo is
-> Photo Swap and Fix It Shop

#1: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:20 pm
    ----

#2: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:35 pm
    ----
think ???
Steve - How could we know? Are there any other clues anywhere'

#3: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:58 pm
    ----
This looks like the 20's. Felt hats were big then.

#4: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:02 pm
    ----
www.forensicgenealogy.info/ Check out this site and if you are really interested, get the book by Colleen Fitzpatrick. She is a Ph.d. I saw her speak at a convention. She tells you how to date pictures, not by the way people are dressed, but by the type of paper the picture was printed on and the angles of the lense. It is pretty technical to me, but she is able to tell you how to figure out what kind of camera took the picture. By the way, perhaps if you e-mail her, she may help you date it. It can't hurt to ask.

#5: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:08 pm
    ----
the back says 1880 and 1920, i dont know which

sorry i forgot to put that Sad

#6: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:44 am
    ----
stevenspringer wrote:
the back says 1880 and 1920, i dont know which

sorry i forgot to put that Sad

In that case IMHO it's almost certainly 1920...

#7: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:17 am
    ----
Definitely 1920 - the hats the men were wearing were popular then.

#8: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:20 am
    ----
Have a question? Was that taken here or in Italy? The style is quite different the US round top for the 20s. The straw summer hat was about that shape though.

lilbees

#9: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:46 pm
    ----
if i knew lilbees i would tell ya, i would like to know that too Smile let me check the back an see if theres anything else on it

#10: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:54 pm
    ----
ok i just checkd the photo, i appologize, it says VELOX (the company who makes the paper?) and in pencil it says 1880 and in pen it says Eddie (written later by someone)

#11: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:02 pm
    ----
IF, it was taken in 1880, it was taken in italy. but if it was taken after 1905, it was taken here.. also if that picture was taken in 1880, that is the ONLY photo that i have of Innocenzo young.

#12: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:38 pm
    ----
That photo is almost certainly from the '20s... Below are some samples of fashions from different times....but you can take your pick!

1920's

#13: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:44 pm
    ----
Carole wrote:
That photo is almost certainly from the '20s... Below are some samples of fashions from different times....but you can take your pick!

1920's

thank you Smile they look like 20s to me

#14: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:22 pm
    ----
If the 1880 is in pencil, they used to mark pictures in pencil in the back when they developed them with numbers. Pictures from the 1880s are on very thick cardboard called cabinet cards. If it is on thin paper, it is most likely the 1920s. You should google Velox. I think that is a brand of photopaper. That book and web site I gave you in a previous post gives information on when certain types of photo paper were used.

#15: Re: can someone tell me what year this photo is Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:28 pm
    ----
I found this in one search on the internet: "Four Common Kodak Brandings

* If the back of a photo has the printing 'Velox,' the photo dates circa 1940s-50s.

* If the back of the photo has the three line printing 'Kodak/Velox/Paper,' the photo dates circa 1950s-60s.

* The printing 'A Kodak Paper' was commonly used in the 1960s and early 1970s."

Source: www.cycleback.com/phot...tamps.html

-> Photo Swap and Fix It Shop