Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Online Translator - any language
-> Translations

#1: Online Translator - any language Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:20 am
    ----
I have given much thought to using an online translator on my webpages due to the international traffic on the site and requests from various emails. I cannot afford to hire someone to actually translate all my pages (and I have so many more to add!!) so I have to go with an online type translator. Can anyone who speaks any other language please take a look at this page and let me know if it translates well?
Thanks so much.
www.montaltouffugo.net/Garrafa.html

#2: Re: Online Translator - any language Author: chanchisfea PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:11 pm
    ----
Hi Cathy Smile [can you believe I actually have more than enough time to post today? LOL]

I checked that page, Spanish translation of course, and though it isn't terrible it gives a good idea of what you are trying to say... Next Tuesday [my day off], I will definitely fix the minor things that kind of don't make sense (due to the use of online translator) and I'll email you with the fixed version, ok.

(((Hugs)))

Liz Cool

#3: Re: Online Translator - any language Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:19 pm
    ----
WOW Liz! That is amazing! Cecilia and her cousins will love that! Of course I am one of her cousins!! Very Happy You rock Liz! THANK YOU!!!
Muchos besos! kiss

#4: Re: Online Translator - any language Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:22 pm
    ----
I have checked Italian and French
People with an IQ above average, may understand up to 80%. In some cases I had to go back and read English to understand the specific sentence.
French seems to be better than in Italian.
Let's take an example:
English
In 1912 Maria Concetta joined her husband in Chicago never to return to the place of her birth.

Italian
Nel 1912 Maria Concetta aderito suo marito mai a Chicago per tornare al luogo della sua nascita.
Does not make sense
French
En 1912, Maria Concetta rejoint son mari à Chicago et ne reviennent jamais à l'endroit de sa naissance. That's OK

#5: Re: Online Translator - any language Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm
    ----
Livio,

Does the translator on the IG forum do a good job of translating from english to italian? If so maybe Cathy can find out from Edmondo what he is using. Just a thought.

#6: Re: Online Translator - any language Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:48 pm
    ----
Thanks Livio. Sounds like the Spanish is acceptable but not great, the French is fine and the Italian is not good. I have more Spanish speaking traffic than Italian, although Italy shows up on my site every day. But with dozens of pages and dozens more planned, I cannot afford to pay someone to translate everything so I was hoping for an easy solution. Maybe I can try another software. Has anyone tried Google?

#7: Re: Online Translator - any language Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:05 am
    ----
BillieDeKid wrote:
Livio,

Does the translator on the IG forum do a good job of translating from english to italian? If so maybe Cathy can find out from Edmondo what he is using. Just a thought.
Only 50% is translated...

#8: Re: Online Translator - any language Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:42 am
    ----
Ok, thanks Livio.

-> Translations