Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Brides fathers name
-> Translations

#16: Re: Brides fathers name Author: AetherLocation: Americas, Italy PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:47 am
    ----
Cathy,

Is Montalto Uffugo also an area of arberesh tradition? I noticed that one witness is PAPA Giuseppe.

Have you any information on the local traditions? Religion, language?

It is a subject of interest to me, new studies by UCAL researchers are covering several comunes of the Province of Cosenza.

Aether Confused

ACCOUNT DEACTIVATED

#17: Re: Brides fathers name Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:20 am
    ----
The next town over from Montalto Uffugo is San Benedetto Ullano. Around the time the State Civil records began San Benedetto was a hamlet of Montalto Uffugo and they became their own comune in the early 1800's. San Benedetto is an Abereshe comune. Many of the people from the 2 towns inter-married so I am sure the Aberesh culture was alive in Montalto so many years ago. I have been searching for information on abereshe surnames because I believe my g g g grandmother (surname Rua) may have been Abereshe. So far, the only surname I have confirmed to be Abereshe in Montalto is Manes. My search continues.... There is a great site of Abereshe culture that actually has many of their notary documents here: www.members.tripod.com...shcal.html

#18: Re: Brides fathers name Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:35 pm
    ----
Aether wrote:
Bride's father name? Francesco...It is clearly a "G".

I also found family names : Guiditti , Guiditto and Guiditta.

In some old documents I remember a rare masculine form "Giuditto" !

Aether

I'm going to flaunt my adminpower for a moment here...

To go 'off topic' (sort of) for a moment.... Aether, may I ask if the name of Giuditti, or any combination of that, may have, in centuries past, been 'anglicised' to whiddett?

#19: Re: Brides fathers name Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:38 pm
    ----
Carole wrote:
Aether wrote:
Bride's father name? Francesco...It is clearly a "G".

I also found family names : Guiditti , Guiditto and Guiditta.

In some old documents I remember a rare masculine form "Giuditto" !

Aether

I'm going to flaunt my adminpower for a moment here...

To go 'off topic' (sort of) for a moment.... Aether, may I ask if the name of Giuditti, or any combination of that, may have, in centuries past, been 'anglicised' to whiddett?

That a girl Carole! Nice way to sneak a little bit of your own research in here..lol I would love to know the answer as well.
Giuditto, Giuditta...a very popular name in Reggio Calabria communes. I have found several.

#20: Re: Brides fathers name Author: AetherLocation: Americas, Italy PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:34 pm
    ----
Nuccia,
I am glad others could also read the name, I was not sure I had read it right! Wink

Now about Whiddett, it will require more research. It seems that is a variation of Huguenot Flemish name. Many families moved to England and Wales, later to the colonies, and the name may have been changed.

The double consonants may indicate a Welsh variation. Families with said names are also in Wells. There is a Wells History Group studying the families.

In Canada I would check Acadia, and in the States and Canada areas where Calvinists settled.

Internet lists several sites for migration of Whiddett families. Can't open.

How important is it? It will require much more research, i.e. check in Belgium= Walloon, and in Holland. Anybody with old French , Walloon and Dutch? Question

Aether

ACCOUNT DEACTIVATED

#21: Re: Brides fathers name Author: AetherLocation: Americas, Italy PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:46 pm
    ----
Cathy,

Have you checked Lungro? I have some notes in another house, will check next time I go there. In Rende I would check with a group doing a lot of research in Cosenza . I wish I could stay there some 6 months. Fabulous grad. program combining religion, language , traditions and music!

Will let you what I may find on surnames.

Aether Smile

ACCOUNT DEACTIVATED

#22: Re: Brides fathers name Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:48 pm
    ----
Quote::
"....How important is it? It will require much more research, i.e. check in Belgium= Walloon, and in Holland. Anybody with old French , Walloon and Dutch? "
Aether

Oh no - it's not that important at all. It's just that for some time I have thought that the pronunciation of Guidetti might have preceded an English version which sounded similar. It's not something I need to pursue, but I thought that your knowledge in this field may have been able to throw some light on my curiosity.

My apologies to the thread owner for this brief incursion... hide

#23: Re: Brides fathers name Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:00 pm
    ----
Aether wrote:
Cathy,

Have you checked Lungro? I have some notes in another house, will check next time I go there. In Rende I would check with a group doing a lot of research in Cosenza . I wish I could stay there some 6 months. Fabulous grad. program combining religion, language , traditions and music!

Will let you what I may find on surnames.

Aether Smile

I have continued this discussion here: www.gentedimaregenealo...0768#10768

#24: Re: Brides fathers name Author: AetherLocation: Americas, Italy PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:00 pm
    ----
Carole,

It was not too brief for me - just 2 hours. I do not specialize in Walloon! Had to check several Huguenot- Flemish sites!

Aether Mr. Green

ACCOUNT DEACTIVATED

#25: Re: Brides fathers name Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:15 pm
    ----
Carole wrote:

My apologies to the thread owner for this brief incursion... hide

No feel free, this is interesting for me and an opportunity for everyone on the forum to learn something new.

#26: Re: Brides fathers name Author: cookie PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:52 pm
    ----
Question Hi...My mother was born in san cosmo albanese in Calabria. Her family name from her father's side is petrone. Not sure if it traces to albania

#27: Re: Brides fathers name Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:15 pm
    ----
cookie wrote:
:?: Hi...My mother was born in san cosmo albanese in Calabria. Her family name from her father's side is petrone. Not sure if it traces to albania

Woo Hoo! Another Cosenza girl! Very Happy Welcome to the forum!! Do you know the surname on her mother's side? Is there anything we can help you with?

#28: Re: Brides fathers name Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:18 pm
    ----
Hi Cookie..............you don't happen to have relatives in Chicago named Petrone do you?? (by chance)

-> Translations