Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Windows Mail
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: Windows Mail Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:02 am
    ----
I am using VISTA which comes with IE 7.0 (and I also use Firefox) and Windows Mail (which replaced Outlook Express). I use Windows Mail as my "primary" personal email tool. Lately I have been having a major problem with trying to send email as it gets into a funk from time to time and fails to send outgoing mail ---- other times it works like a charm. I searched the web for solutions and it suggested that I copy my mail folders, and then reload them. I have done something similar in the past when migrating to a new PC, but I always have qualms about doing a "major" fix like this......My question is if anyone else has experienced the same issue, and if so did you try this recommended fix, and lastly did it work?? Also any tips would be appreciated......Grazie mille

#2: Re: Windows Mail Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:32 am
    ----
I had a similar problem. As soon as I log into that account it will send all the mail I sent out, other wise its holds it all! I just gave up using it. I never looked into it again but maybe I will now.

#3: Re: Windows Mail Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:46 am
    ----
Does your email client fail when you are "replying" to an email as opposed to writing a "new" email? Sometimes replies string together addresses so that the client won't send the email even though it appears to have a valid address. I don't use Vista and rarely do I use XP now that I have Macs so I am not familiar with Vista's new email client; however, I stopped using MS' email clients long before I switched to Macs. Since you also use FF, why not try out Thunderbird? You can import all of your email, addresses, etc. If it doesn't suit then it can be removed without interfering with your current setup. A second email client can also be used to archive email so that your primary email client doesn't get bloated with old email. Many email clients have a "rebuild" feature which essentially compresses the database to improve performance; however, I don't know if this is available with Vista's mail client, it is with Thunderbird.

#4: Re: Windows Mail Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:13 am
    ----
I actually use T-Bird but for my business email. I know that it is possible to have separate accounts in one email tool, I just feel it is safer keeping each eamil account in separate email programs. I have used Outlook Express for years and even though it had some shortcomings, it worked pretty well. Windows Mail has some improvements, but just like VISTA it still needs to be fully debugged. I did find a simple find ---- I need to close the winMail program in the Program Manager --- it worked and hopefully I can limp along until they fix the software some day.......Thanks

#5: Re: Windows Mail Author: rfornalLocation: Columbus, Ohio PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:43 am
    ----
Also remember that your antivirus program can block some or all e-mail functions when using Windows Mail ... I use a free antivirus program called Avast! that does not conflict with Windows Mail. You can always install Outlook Express which does not have this issue.

#6: Re: Windows Mail Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:03 am
    ----
Thanks Bob ---- I have been using AVG (which I believe is now compatible with VISTA, IE7.0 and Windows Mail and I keep it updated to the latest version) and also Zone Labs as my FW S/W. I have read reports that this is a know bug in Windows Mail ---- it works sometimes but it still locks up from time-to-time and I can't pinpoint what triigers it to do so

#7: Re: Windows Mail Author: rfornalLocation: Columbus, Ohio PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:13 pm
    ----
Glad to hear that about AVG ... I was installing my new machine while it was not compatible ... time to change back.

I wasw just thinking that there might be a port being blocked for that e-mail by your service provider. Look into the e-mail service and determine which port they use when sending, and then contact the service provider to see if they block it ... many do to minimize spam being sent. Usually, the mail host will have a workaround in their FAQs.

#8: Re: Windows Mail Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:20 pm
    ----
rfornal wrote:
Glad to hear that about AVG ... I was installing my new machine while it was not compatible ... time to change back.

I wasw just thinking that there might be a port being blocked for that e-mail by your service provider. Look into the e-mail service and determine which port they use when sending, and then contact the service provider to see if they block it ... many do to minimize spam being sent. Usually, the mail host will have a workaround in their FAQs.

Hi Bob,

Wouldn't my mail be "consistently" blocked then? It can work for a few weeks and then not work for a day or a week???? It is very intermittent ----I have heard that the mail files get corrupted. If I then run some maintenance routines (FIX-IT UTILITIES 8.0 Professional ---- I hate Norton, not the product, just the company), I can usually get it working again....

neclord

#9: Re: Windows Mail Author: rfornalLocation: Columbus, Ohio PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:36 am
    ----
This would be a consistent block ... an inconsistent block on send does sound like it might be something corrupted, but then again, that would affect incoming mail as well.

Have you considered installing Outlook Express ... it will work in Vista, rather than using the Windows Mail which is known to be "buggy?"

#10: Re: Windows Mail Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:58 pm
    ----
Hi Bob,

I did some investigation about using Outlook Express 6.0 again , but my understanding it is built as a component of IE 6.0 and will not operate independently. I am currently using Vista/IE7.0. I do use Thunderbird, but I use this with email for my job (I am semi-retired); I don't want to mix my business mail with my personal email.

I have also downloaded a copy of Eudora, but it is not so great.

#11: Re: Windows Mail Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:55 pm
    ----
Try Pocomail. It's not free but it's a good program and secure since it uses none of the Windows hooks to IE, etc.. I used it when I was a Windows user.
www.pocosystems.com/ho...&Itemid=25

#12: Re: Windows Mail Author: rfornalLocation: Columbus, Ohio PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:01 pm
    ----
Sorry, got my packages confused ... that's what I get being on the road a lot. Try Outlook, which should be a complete installation as a part of MS Office (any version that you own would do).

-> PC Info and Guides