Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Timpani
-> Recipes

#1: Timpani Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:01 pm
    ----
OK, I got talked into seeing this movie last night called "The Big Night". Anyone else here see it? It stars Tony Shalhoub and Stanley Tucci as two brothers from Italy that go to the US and open up a restaurant that is failing.

Anyway, the whole freakin' movie was about FOOD (my most favourite thing). In the movie they cook this thing they called Timpani. It had spaghetti, sauce, mini meatballs, cheese and eggs in it and then they baked it in some kind of crust shaped like the bowl.

I absolutely NEED the recipe for that! Anyone have it?

#2: Re: Timpani Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:33 pm
    ----
Hi Gina Very Happy

I think this is what you're looking for.
www.inuyaki.com/archives/15

Biff

#3: Re: Timpani Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:45 pm
    ----
This is known as Timballo as well as Timpano (which means 'drum').

See this site - scroll down and you'll see some really good photo's of how it is made.
>TIMBALLO<

Unfortunatley it's all in Italian - but the photo's don't have a language. If you really need the translation - let me know. One thing it does say is to use store bought puff pastry to gook.

BTW it DOES look tasty, doesn't it!

#4: Re: Timpani Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:31 pm
    ----
Thanks Carole and Biff! That's terrific!

Carole, I appreciate the offer, but I'll use Biff's recipe so you don't need to waste time translating it for me. It was nice of you but I'm sure you have more pressing jobs waiting.

#5: Re: Timpani Author: alanmercieca PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:49 pm
    ----
In Malta they have Timpani as well although in Malta it's way more simplistic

In Malta it's pasta in a sauce usually a meat sauce with very little meat and the pasta is covered with a pie like dough and then baked.

Although these days in Malta the pie like crust is ordered pre-made and just put on top of the pasta

Timpani in Malta is flat not in a bowl

#6: Re: Timpani Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:15 am
    ----
Carole, glad you mentioned the puff pastry. When reading through the other recipie, I thought that the pie dough would be a bit heavy. Like the use of the puff pastry better.

lilbees

#7: Re: Timpani Author: alanmercieca PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:47 pm
    ----
A regular pie crust on pasta that would just be wrong unless maybe it was a very thick layer of pasta

lilbees wrote:
Carole, glad you mentioned the puff pastry. When reading through the other recipie, I thought that the pie dough would be a bit heavy. Like the use of the puff pastry better.

lilbees

#8: Re: Timpani Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:44 pm
    ----
Gina, I saw that movie about 10 yrs. ago. I loved it! But didn't it take like the whole movie to make that meal? LOL. I wonder how difficult that recipe is.

-> Recipes