Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Ellis Island Graffiti
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: MauroMagsLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:22 pm
    ----
I was at Ellis Island today and one of the many profound things found there is the graffiti that was uncovered during the restoration of the 1980s.

Check out the link below to see an example of graffiti written on one of the columns. Some of you may have seen this before.

http://home.comcast.net/~magarelli/HPIM2849.JPG

I was able to find Giuseppe & Achille's manifest online. I wonder if his family knows this piece of graffiti genealogy exists?

#2: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:33 pm
    ----
How cool is that! Can't wait to see Ellis Island. Can't believe I never saw it.

#3: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:42 pm
    ----
MauroMags wrote:
I was at Ellis Island today and one of the many profound things found there is the graffiti that was uncovered during the restoration of the 1980s.

Check out the link below to see an example of graffiti written on one of the columns. Some of you may have seen this before.

I was able to find Giuseppe & Achille's manifest online. I wonder if his family knows this piece of graffiti genealogy exists?
WOW Mauro - that is amazing! You didn't see Giuseppe Napolitano there did you? Smile I bet they don't know about it. I have been to many immigration sites and have never seen or heard anything about grafitti. Great find! Thanks for sharing.

#4: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: wldspiritLocation: Usa PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:06 am
    ----
Bad eyes here..... Embarassed
What does all of it say?? I could only make out some of it....
I can't wait to see Ellis Island!!!
Lee

#5: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:25 am
    ----
wldspirit wrote:
Bad eyes here..... Embarassed
What does all of it say?? I could only make out some of it....
I can't wait to see Ellis Island!!!
Lee

it says Achille Cecchini arrived to Ellis Island on Saturday 12 May 1901
ciao Riccardo

#6: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:52 am
    ----
Mauro - was there more grafitti? Did you get pictures? I'm really curious now.

#7: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: MauroMagsLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:34 am
    ----
There is quite a bit of graffiti and supposedly alot more in the un-restored buildings. I've been told its been documented, not sure if it is published anywhere.

Of course, the graffiti is not only in Italian, there are more than 12 languages in existence. I did get picture of a patch of graffiti in one of the exhibits of a outlined hand and the words "Maledetto Vapone" There is more written but i can't make it out. I think it means "Damn the ship??" When i go through all of my pics i'll put it up on the board

#8: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:39 am
    ----
That is so kool!!!

#9: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:42 am
    ----
MauroMags wrote:

I WISH I WAS THERE....I REALLY WANT TO GO THERE AND VISIT
CIAO AND THANKS FOR SHARING THAT PICTURE
RICCARDO

#10: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:33 am
    ----
MauroMags wrote:
There is quite a bit of graffiti and supposedly alot more in the un-restored buildings. I've been told its been documented, not sure if it is published anywhere.

Of course, the graffiti is not only in Italian, there are more than 12 languages in existence. I did get picture of a patch of graffiti in one of the exhibits of a outlined hand and the words "Maledetto Vapone" There is more written but i can't make it out. I think it means "Damn the ship??" When i go through all of my pics i'll put it up on the board
WOW! That's really cool. He was probably seasick. My great aunt wouldn't even talk about her ship journey but her daughter told me she was seasick the whole trip! I can't immagine being stuck on a smelly old ship with seasickness for 10 days!

#11: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: wldspiritLocation: Usa PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:37 am
    ----
Imagine that.......graffitti from 1901....now that would make for some interesting documentation!!!!
Lee

#12: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: exdemLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:46 pm
    ----
great post Mauro...

The Washington monument has graffeti inside.. It was used as a civil war prison, holding souther soldiers, when they recently did the restoration they left all the graffiti. Hope to someday check it out.

#13: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: MauroMagsLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:35 am
    ----
Here is that other piece of graffiti on display at Ellis Island. I believe it says "Maledetto Vapone Neustria," which I think means "Damn the ship Neustria." If thats what it says i think that is a very profound statement

#14: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:41 am
    ----
WOW - Mauro, amazing picture! And truly a profound statement. It really gives you a glimpse of how they suffered on those ships. I don't think many people think about that. It had to be a very frightening experience too. Especially for women travelling alone with children to meet their husbands.

#15: Re: Ellis Island Graffiti Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:08 am
    ----
Yes it said "Damn ship Neustria"
ciao Riccardo

-> General Discussion Groups