Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Where is EVeryone???
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Where is EVeryone??? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:44 am
    ----
What a quiet weekend! I see that we have had over 4000 views yesterday and yet no one is talking (including me)!

Here its Victoria Day and a long holiday weekend which means many Canadians are working on their gardens. Unfortunately it rained all weekend here and its cold so we didn't get much done outside but I did manage to clean and cook up a storm.

okay I am finally going to sit down and relax....

#2: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:01 pm
    ----
I was thinking the same thing even as I check the site many times this weekend. Soooo, I was wondering if any of our site visitors have had first hand experience regarding this news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/eu...408399.stm

#3: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:48 pm
    ----
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Napoli è effettivamente in quella condizione, purtroppo, ma non tutta l'Italia è Napoli. Anzi: è esattamente il contrario. Venite tranquillamente in Italia (se avete già deciso un viaggio) perché NON C'E ALCUN PROBLEMA DI SICUREZZA.
Fidatevi.

Luca

#4: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:38 pm
    ----
Luca,

I will have to answer in English since I can't reply in Italian..

We were discussing this same thing on another forum this morning. While I know Naples is in bad shape, I really don't remember it being that bad. And I thought the rest of Italy was beautiful..clean actually so I am so surprised that the "news" would pick this one particular thing to discuss about Italy. I guess they will do almost anything for ratings, huh?

#5: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: AetherLocation: Americas, Italy PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:19 pm
    ----
Nuccia, Luca and all,

Well the Yahoo.it posts a lot on the problem in Naples. Seems that this last days became even worst due to people torching the piles of garbage.

Really a pity to have that image of the city. So many beautiful buildings, art, the view from the hills!

I noticed that Calabria and Basilicata are super clean, it seems like the streets are washed! Not a piece of paper!

Must say that some tourists do no show much respect - many times I get into fights - Venice in particular - when I see garbage discarded in San Marco!!! Banana peels!!!

Rome also has problems, and again... but not all the time, generally when strikes are going on!

Aether Embarassed Mr. Green Mr. Green

#6: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:59 pm
    ----
Aether wrote:
Nuccia, Luca and all,

I noticed that Calabria and Basilicata are super clean, it seems like the streets are washed!
Aether Embarassed Mr. Green Mr. Green
So is that where Nuccia gets her penchant for washing the street!!!! Shocked
I no longer pay attention to the news or the press unless something disasterous occurs. The press has become unethical, cheap and seedy. You can't beleive much of what they say anymore.

#7: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:47 pm
    ----
News coverage has definitely evolved over the years, exchanging its informational aspect for more overt entertainment value which can be tragic for listeners who rely on this information in its purer form. Case in point. Programming was interrupted in our area for hours by the local news station because of "developing severe weather conditions". The weather people had a field day with all of their electronic gadgetry and flashing colors with the latest doppler weather technology and laptops tracking lightning strikes--you get the picture. This seems to happen with increasing frequency in our area, I guess the standard set by our fear-baiting president, has too many people knee-jerking when they ought to be thinking. The sad part about all of this is that this crying wolf syndrome simply prompts people to ignore it so my wife and I to turned off the unremitting bombardment of the weather people and went to bed early. The next day we learn that at least two tornados touched down around us, one of them was only a mile or so from our house. Subsequent reporting detailed the extensiveness of the damage but seeing it first hand the other day was sobering and sent a shiver down my spine as I considered what might have been as we slept so unaware!

#8: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:16 pm
    ----
Jesus Tom..that's awful! Thank God you and your family are safe. I have been hearing a lot about these tornados. This weather is so scary...and the news media just scares people more. Thats why other than watching a good movie (which is rare in itself) I do not watch t.v. nor do I really read the paper. Its too depressing.

Some may think its ignorant for me not to read newspapers and keep up with current events but I would rather be ignorant than afraid every day of my life.

#9: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: AetherLocation: Americas, Italy PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:00 am
    ----
Nuccia,

Right you are. It is just so much of bad, or made up bad news we can take. Not to mention the political scene, the bad old movies, the disasters and so forth! The crime!

Glad your are OK! In CA - we shake and roll! In OKLA once we stayed under a bridge to escape - next thing? Our car had no paint left!

So, I was thinking Question Why don't we start some good positive posts? Something to lift our spirits , such as bits on art, music, travel? Not super scholarly but fun and informative?

I posted about my experience in the Sistine- a very positive one. However during my travails I have encountered all sort of goofy situations!

What do you think? Should we share ?

And yes - they wash the sidewalks in Calabria- early morning!

Abbracci, Sophia Wink

#10: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:09 am
    ----
Positive posts ALWAYS have my vote!

Oh..and washing the streets is a good thing.... Very Happy

#11: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:42 am
    ----
OK. Positive. I'm not ducking tornadoes this morning but I am doing this.
tomarie.tzo.com/wp/200...e-vintner/

#12: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:13 pm
    ----
You know..I was just thinking...

When we started the "original" Gente, we (Carole, Simona and I) we did it with the intention that this forum would focus on genealogy and our "sister" site, Amici would focus on all other issues like politics, news and day to day issues.

I was looking through the posts and I thought that it still might be a good idea to go throw this out there and remind everyone they can still do this if they like. As a matter of fact, I would like to get opinions on this from everyone. Would we all like to keep Gente as is or perhaps streamline it a bit and move all the non genealogy related "stuff" to Amici?

Remember, this is JUST an idea..there is no pressure to anyone. I am just trying to keep things in perspective and keep you all happy (oh, and us happy, too... Wink )

Please, post and let us know your thoughts on this.

#13: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:37 pm
    ----
I agree with you Nuccia. I got carried away Embarassed I sampled a little too much of what I was bottling Very Happy

#14: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:45 pm
    ----
tjbrn wrote:
I sampled a little too much of what I was bottling Very Happy

Did you? Can you send some over my way, please???? kiss

#15: Re: Where is EVeryone??? Author: gogangaLocation: North Italy PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:34 pm
    ----
nuccia wrote:
You know..I was just thinking...

When we started the "original" Gente, we (Carole, Simona and I) we did it with the intention that this forum would focus on genealogy and our "sister" site, Amici would focus on all other issues like politics, news and day to day issues.

I was looking through the posts and I thought that it still might be a good idea to go throw this out there and remind everyone they can still do this if they like. As a matter of fact, I would like to get opinions on this from everyone. Would we all like to keep Gente as is or perhaps streamline it a bit and move all the non genealogy related "stuff" to Amici?

Remember, this is JUST an idea..there is no pressure to anyone. I am just trying to keep things in perspective and keep you all happy (oh, and us happy, too... Wink )

Please, post and let us know your thoughts on this.

Thanks for your idea, Nuccia.
Maybe this could be the right input to remove some dust from an old great project for Amici.
Very Happy

-> General Discussion Groups