Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Blues for Carnie
-> Music

#1: Blues for Carnie Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:36 pm
    ----
Mike,

Here's my favorite blues artists, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee. Damn, they were good.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBPEj6HJ2q4

Biff

#2: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:35 pm
    ----
Another for Carnie because I know he loves her. Big Mama Thorton & Buddy Guy.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XUAg1_A7IE

#3: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: carnieLocation: Barnsley. South Yorks. PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:20 pm
    ----
Agh Man, You guys Rock Very Happy

I thought I died and went to Heaven, Biff your spot on superb great artist.
I like the Harmonica playing of Sonny Boy Williamson "Good morning School Girl" and of course Sonny Terrys " Harmonica Stomp" One of my big favourites is "Cow Cow Stomp" by Jed Davenport.

Cathy, ain't she just great Big Mamma, I have her on a DVD. You guys have made my Day. kiss

Lets have a Blues Section on Gente. lol

Mike.

#4: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:50 pm
    ----
John Hammond, one of the best white blues musicians.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHkfzbGhk10

Tom Rush's great interpretation of The Panama Limited.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdOToAXo5WQ

Both these guys came out of the Great Folk Scare of the late 50s and early 60s. Too bad there aren't any performances on youtube by the late Dave Van Ronk, the mayor of MacDougal Street, another superb blues guitar player and vocalist.

Turn up the volume so the neighbors can hear!!

Biff

#5: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:43 pm
    ----
WOW Biff! I did not know you were a fan of the blues! Thanks, my daughter will really enjoy these too

#6: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: carnieLocation: Barnsley. South Yorks. PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:53 pm
    ----
Excellent again Biff, how I envy you all in the US, the music shops here are limited in their selection of blues artists, and when I ordered some from Amazon. Com. The customs here charged me excise duty on them. Crying or Very sad

#7: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:48 pm
    ----
Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee's version of a Big Bill Broonzy tune. Clip from Pete Seeger's 60s show Rainbow Quest. Great stuff.
Key to the Highway

Reverend Gary Davis's version of Samson and Delilah aka If I Had My Way
Samson and Delilah

Enjoy.

Biff

#8: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:30 am
    ----
Some mo'.

Otis Spann's funky, get down and dirty
Ain't Nobody's Business

Lightnin' Hopkins
Hurricane Beulah

Biff

#9: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: carnieLocation: Barnsley. South Yorks. PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:51 am
    ----
Thank You so much Biff.
Iv'e managed to copy all those Artists clips from You Tube. Mr. Green
I think if they were to pick up a rusty nail and a piece of string they would be able to get a tune out of them.
When there was none of the modern electronic devices in their day, these old guys could make their instruments talk. Absolutly Fantastic.
Cheers Mike.

party

#10: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:52 pm
    ----
Mike,
Another neat acoustic blues.

Big Bill Broonzy
I Wonder When I'll Be Called A Man

#11: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:27 pm
    ----
The Mississippi Sheiks
Sitting On Top of the World

This song also has become a bluegrass standard.
Hope you like the high, lonesome sound of Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys.
Bluegrass Sittin' On Top of the World

Biff

#12: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: sameoldblues PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:35 am
    ----
Hello. I'm Cathy's daughter. I just thought I'd add some links, too...I hope you don't mind...and by some, of course, I mean a good myriad. Six, to be exact. Sorry if this is too much for one post...these are mostly more popular artists, so sorry for that, as well.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rL-F5n0pGY
Buddy Guy on electric guitar and vocals, Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones on bass, Pinetop Perkins on piano, and Junior Wells on harp. Song: When You See The Tears From My Eyes. Visual quality is a little subpar, unfortunately...

www.youtube.com/watch?...ZbGIc&NR=1
Magic Sam on vocals and guitar. This is probably the best of the batch. Song: All Your Love and Magic Sam's Boogie.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TZ7omxqzag
Hound Dog Taylor on vocals and guitar, Little Walter on harp, and the Houserockers on everything else. Song: Wild About You, Baby.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR3Hg3DII8k
Otis Rush on vocals and guitar. Song: I Can't Quit You, Baby.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux6N00CwudA
Hubert Sumlin on guitar, Willie Dixon on bass, Sunnyland Slim on piano, Clifton James on drums, and Howlin' Wolf on guitar and vocals. Song: Shake It For Me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhTCYqJsfqs
Muddy Waters at Newport circa 1960. Song: Got My Mojo Working.

#13: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: carnieLocation: Barnsley. South Yorks. PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:37 am
    ----
Ever since I was able to access the You Tube site, I'm never off it, I'm like a child with a new toy. Mr. Green

Biff & Cathy's daughter thank you, they were some of the great masters of the Blues.
Little Walter is a great harmonica player, I did manage to get one of his CD's "Confessing the Blues" Just love it.
When ever I'm feeling blue, the music just lifts me , right now as I type this I'm listening to "Lonnie Johnson" I'm a Jelly Roll Baker funny 7 great.
Regards,
Mike.

#14: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:17 pm
    ----
Sameoldblues,

Thanks for posting those. First time I've heard Magic Sam--I really enjoyed him! And Muddy Waters, well, a legend. I've just about worn out my vinyl copy of Fathers and Sons with Otis Spann, Duck Dunn, Buddy Miles Paul Butterfield and others.

Keep 'em comin'!
Biff

#15: Re: Blues for Carnie Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:15 pm
    ----
Sonny Terry, Brownie McGhee and Lightnin' Hopkins
Blues For Gamblers

Reverend Gary Davis
Cocaine Blues

Mississippi John Hurt
Stagolee

-> Music