Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Processetti page - Seals (Stamps)
-> Translations

#1: Processetti page - Seals (Stamps) Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:49 pm
    ----
I have this page from a processetti and I would like to know... What are the stamps for?

On additional pages there are also stamps (more than on this page) but this one is very clear.

This document is from 1809 and one stamp says Napoli etc. and one says Sicilia and I don't know what the 3rd one says for sure. My comune is Brognaturo which was in Catanzaro at that time.

Also, if anyone can help me with what is being said on this page I would appreciate it. I can make out most of the names but the content of the page is difficult for me to understand.

Thanks in advance any help with this.

img398.imageshack.us/i...049ti5.jpg

#2: Re: Processetti page - Seals (Stamps) Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:23 am
    ----
Scusa se ti scrivo in italiano (eventualmente se c'è qualcosa che non capisci provo a farti una traduzione)
Si tratta di un certificato rilasciato in data 20 Ottobre 1809 (sicuramente in occasione del matrimonio) e attestante che nel registro dei battesimi della Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie di Brognaturo è presente la registrazione del battesimo di Maria Stella(!) figlia di Giovanni Tosi e Rosa Grassi(!) impartito il 15 Aprile 1788.

Ciao
Luca

Last edited by Luca on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:25 am; edited 2 times in total

#3: Re: Processetti page - Seals (Stamps) Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:48 am
    ----
Solo una domanda: ma dove hai letto Napoli?

Luca

#4: Re: Processetti page - Seals (Stamps) Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:49 am
    ----
Luca wrote:
Scusa se ti scrivo in italiano (eventualmente se c'è qualcosa che non capisci provo a farti una traduzione)
Si tratta di un certificato rilasciato in data 20 Ottobre 1809 (sicuramente in occasione del matrimonio) e attestante che nel registro dei battesimi della Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie di Brognaturo è presente la registrazione del battesimo di Maria Stella(!) figlia di Giovanni Tosi e Rosa Grassi(!) impartito il 15 Aprile 1788.

Ciao
Luca

Translation:
Excuse me if I write in Italain (eventually if there is something you don't understand I will try and translate)

We are dealing with a certificate issued on 20 October 1809 (certainly on the occasion of a marriage) and certifying that in the baptismal register of the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie of Brognaturo were present at the registration and the blessing of the baptism of Maria Stella(!) daughter of Giovanni Tosi and Rosa Grassi(!) on 15 April 1788

#5: Re: Processetti page - Seals (Stamps) Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:24 am
    ----
I'm just guessing here (based on what I have seen in my own records) but the 3rd seal could be the seal of the church (since this is a baptism) or the comune. Another guess is these are rewritten documentation of the original baptism done for the processetti. (there were no copy machines back then so they had to manually duplicate). The mother church in my town did have a seal...not sure about yours. For this reason seals were required to prove their authenticity. Why there are seals with Napoli and Sicily I am not sure but at one time Brognaturo was under the jurisdiction of the Kingdom of 2 Sicilies and during another time the Kingdom of Napoli. I have seen seals in my town that say Kingdom of Two Sicilies (in Italian of course) but not Sicilia. Just a guess....

#6: Re: Processetti page - Seals (Stamps) Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:42 am
    ----
I know I may be trying to 'teach my grandmother to suck eggs', but my first thought was that they (the bolli) were to do with the "Two Sicilies" of the Bourbons...

#7: Re: Processetti page - Seals (Stamps) Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:42 am
    ----
Thank you Luca and Carole for the translations and thanks Cathy for you input, makes sense.

Luca wrote:
Solo una domanda: ma dove hai letto Napoli?

Luca

Luca Napoli is part of the stamp on the upper right that also says Sicilia. I have several other documents with that same stamp. Here's another sample with Napoli/Sicilia
img177.imageshack.us/i...7oksj6.jpg

Thanks again everyone. kiss

#8: Re: Processetti page - Seals (Stamps) Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:58 am
    ----
I did want to ask one more question. On the first document, why are there 3 different seals? Is there special significance to each seal on a document from a processetti?

I don't need any translation on these documents, just curious about the seals.

Thanks again.

#9: Re: Processetti page - Seals (Stamps) Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:49 pm
    ----
BillieDeKid wrote:
Luca Napoli is part of the stamp on the upper right that also says Sicilia.
OK (the image isn't so clear, so I didn't see it: sorry).
I can't tell you about seals (I was never interested in this field), but I don't think their mean can change the result of your research.

Cathy wrote:
Another guess is these are rewritten documentation of the original baptism done for the processetti...
...For this reason seals were required to prove their authenticity.
Wink

Luca

#10: Re: Processetti page - Seals (Stamps) Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:43 pm
    ----
>HERE> is a link to a site about old documents... Beneath each document there is a word about the document contents and any seals it carries. Many don't have one though..

It 'may' be of some interest but it doesn't show 'your' seals...

#11: Re: Processetti page - Seals (Stamps) Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:03 pm
    ----
Thank you Luca. I didn't think it would change anything, just curious as why so many seals (stamps) and yes what Cathy said made perfect sense.

Thanks for the link Carole, this is helping me with some other documents I have.

-> Translations