Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Book about Sicilian Hill Towns by Teresa Maggio
-> Books and Movies

#1: Book about Sicilian Hill Towns by Teresa Maggio Author: DaveFerroLocation: Auburn NY PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:19 am
    ----
Just finished The Stone Boudoir - Travels through the Hidden Villages of Sicily by Teresa Maggio, who also wrote Mattanza about the tuna fishermen.

Don't get the wrong idea about the main title; this is about seeing her grandparents' hometown of Santa Margarita and falling in love with Sicily and the people of the towns even most Sicilians probably have not heard of. Didn't go to my grandfather's hometown of Siculiana, but felt what it could be like. Want to go there even more now.

Also took out the Lonely Planet guide from the library which recommends her book, and was a great way to locate where she was writing about. This all began with trying to find out where Cathy's Castle was. [weird--just remembered a friend in California whose name was Cathy Castle.]

Italians and descendants will love this book. Stones, lava, food, feasts, and characters like our cousins and grandparents.

Dave

Last edited by DaveFerro on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Book about Sicilian Hill Towns by Teresa Maggio Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:34 am
    ----
It sounds great Dave. I love books and its been awhile since I bought one. I'm due for one so I will put this on my list.

#3: Re: Book about Sicilian Hill Towns by Teresa Maggio Author: DaveFerroLocation: Auburn NY PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:37 am
    ----
Already finished the first book and my mother has read it too. Says she really identifies with the customs and the names. Her family (and 1/4 of mine) is from Molise/Campobasso, but her uncle (my grandfather) came from a hill town in Sicily. Re-reading to check some things. The bibliography has more good books to check out.

Now reading Maggio's first book, Mattanza, about the tuna fishermen.

Also read a book by Eleanor Herman called Sex with Kings - about the mistresses over 500 years of history. Italians figure in many stories. I never realized how much influence they had, even ruling as queen in every way but the title, and doing a better job than the king in some cases.

#4: Re: Book about Sicilian Hill Towns by Teresa Maggio Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:41 am
    ----
Dave thats great. I just love books..Sex with Kings some interesting. I may check that one out.

#5: Re: Book about Sicilian Hill Towns by Teresa Maggio Author: DaveFerroLocation: Auburn NY PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:56 pm
    ----
Went to her web site and it has pictures by her taken when she was living in Sicily, also a sample chapter and links to other great photos.

Unfortunately the comments do not work and the last one was in 2006 - some people have posted ads. I hoped to tell her my impressions and ask here for help to remove the ads.

Going to the publisher's website, there are no results when her name is searched for. So cannot contact her so far.

Her website, with an interesting Java animation of A View of Favignana From the Sea, is Theresa Maggio.

The Mattanza is very good so far. Learned quite a bit about the history of the fishermen and the people there. The links button leads to more photos and sites.

-> Books and Movies