Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: My Italian Mother was adopted
-> Where do I begin?

#1: My Italian Mother was adopted Author: AldoDe PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:24 pm
    ----
O.K., I'm eligible to apply for Italian citizenship on the basis that my mother was Italian.... Her Marriage certificate o my dad references that she was born in Milano, Italy, as does her U.S. Naturalirization Certifiicate....The PROBLEM is that she was was adopted. How do I go about getting her BIRTH CERTIFICATE for purposes of applying for citizenship?

thanks

a.d.

#2: Re: My Italian Mother was adopted Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:53 am
    ----
When was she naturalized? Hopefully after your birth. Was she adopted by American or Italian citizens?

#3: Re: My Italian Mother was adopted Author: AldoDe PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:34 am
    ----
She was naturalized AFTER my birth. As I said, I meet all the requirements. The only missing document is her birth certificate. She was adopted by Italian citizens. Her marriage certificate states that she was born in Milano, Italy, as does her Naturalization Petition/Certificate.

All the documents I have are photocopies. Will I need certified copies?

Thanks for any help. Regards,

#4: Re: My Italian Mother was adopted Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:31 pm
    ----
If she was adopted by Italian citizens you would need to obtain copies of her Adoption records. This is what I was told from The Boston Consulate here in Massachusetts. Once obtained, you would need to go through her adopted family line and NOT her biological parents. In Italy when a child is adopted the Government allows that child all the same rights as if it were a natural child, including (in your case) the right of Italian Citizenship via Juris Sanguinis.

Was she adopted in Italy? What year was she born? There are privacy issues for anyone born after 1937, In order to obtain her birth record from Milano you would have to prove that you are her child and that she is deceased. (I assume she is deceased, based upon your post)

#5: Re: My Italian Mother was adopted Author: AldoDe PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:20 pm
    ----
James:

She is not deceased. She was born on December 9, 1917. Thanks for your help. Regards,

a. de filippi

-> Where do I begin?