Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:36 am
    ----
I was wondering if New York death certificates had the cause of death for the 30s and later. thank you Smile

#2: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: MauroMagsLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:07 am
    ----
i have a death certificate for my ggrandfather who died in NYC in 1946 and it does list a specific cause of death

#3: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:06 am
    ----
cool, thanks Smile

#4: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:56 am
    ----
Here is what a 1921 NYC Death record looks like (it's for my great-grandfather)

Antonino Leone 1921

#5: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: MikeSavoca91 PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:43 pm
    ----
Yes they do list the cause of death. My grandmother's uncle jumped from a building in 1937 and it listed everything, I even got the M.E. report, it really gave a lot info.

Hope it helps. Very Happy

#6: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:52 pm
    ----
yup helps alot! i only got a death cert. from 1981 but im gonna try and get further back for my great great grandfathers and mothers

#7: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:24 pm
    ----
At some point, they stopped stating the cause of death. My gm's from 1959 has no cause of death and you need a court order or something to get the medical cause of death, but as the other folks said, the old ones do have cause of death.

#8: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:59 am
    ----
the years im looking for are 1936 and 1938 and around there

#9: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:09 pm
    ----
You should be ok. You know to write for them from here? www.nyc.gov/html/recor...home.shtml or you can save some $$$ and get the microfilm from the LDS. Get the certificate no. first from www.italiangen.org Sorry if I am telling you something you already know. Wink

#10: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:44 pm
    ----
Poipu04 wrote:
You should be ok. You know to write for them from here? www.nyc.gov/html/recor...home.shtml or you can save some $$$ and get the microfilm from the LDS. Get the certificate no. first from www.italiangen.org Sorry if I am telling you something you already know. Wink
everything helps, so dont be sorry.. the only problem with LDS is the one by me is the worst. they are never there Sad i have to go to the one thats about 45 minutes away and with gas prices it makes it even harder. Also, If i do have a copy of the film, is there a way to copy the death certificate from it? this would help me out alot with my other family lines also.

One thing i've noticed is that, The people who didnt have money have a decent stone where they are buried and the ones who do have money have junk. I went to the cemetery's yesterday to see my great great grandparents monuments and the poor family had a nice size stone and the one with money had one as big as my foot Confused

#11: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:00 pm
    ----
Well, here is the cheap and faster way to do it. Get the certificate number from www.italiangen.org The go to www.familysearch.org Look up the microfilm no. that would be associated with your certificate number. Then on www.familysearch.org click on services under library www.familysearch.org/E...rvices.asp and order the certificate using the photoduplication service. This way you will get a good copy in say two or three weeks for like $2 to $4. Otherwise, you can write to the NY archives and get an official copy with a stamp for $15. It may take a month. My gm's took a few months, but the really old ones from the archives (like the 30s come quicker).

#12: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:15 pm
    ----
Thanks sounds good Smile

#13: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:22 pm
    ----
Ok, i tried searching italiangen.org for death cert. # they dont have an option to search Nassau County Sad

#14: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:23 pm
    ----
Oh, sorry, I assumed when you said NY you meant NYC. Hmmmm...the municipal archives site I sent you won't be much help either then. That was for the 5 borroughs of NYC.

#15: Re: Is anyone familiar with New York death certs? Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:12 pm
    ----
Poipu04 wrote:
Oh, sorry, I assumed when you said NY you meant NYC. Hmmmm...the municipal archives site I sent you won't be much help either then. That was for the 5 borroughs of NYC.
yeah, most of my family moved out to Long Island from the city. I tried searching LDS and i cant find what im looking for either Sad

-> General Discussion Groups