Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Puzzled on Right Surname???
-> Non-Italian Genealogy

#1: Puzzled on Right Surname??? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:28 pm
    ----
Not too long ago I received my grandfather's SS Application dated 1936.

My grandfather's name is Adam Demo which is the same on the application and his naturalization papers. My grandfather's brothers, when they immigrated, all took variations of Demo as their surnames. But, on the application, he lists his father's name as Demo Malos. (My great grand mother's name, Marie Gargala, is correct and in the correct order).

Is the proper surname Demo or Malos. In checking, both surnames do exist and from the same Albanian area. I have not sent for any records as yet from Albania but I was wanting to make sure about the correct surname.

Just an F.Y.I., no one ever knew any information about his family until I received this document. All generatons prior to my generation is living, including friends of my grandfather, so no one to ask.

lilbees

#2: Re: Puzzled on Right Surname??? Author: RobertLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:23 pm
    ----
Don't know if it helps but I used to work in HR in Ireland and one thing I noted that was across the board, Eastern European candidates always put their surname first on their CV's. Even when signing off cover letters/emails it was the same. If Albanians followed this trend back in 1936 then Demo would be the surname as you suspect it is.

#3: Re: Puzzled on Right Surname??? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:07 pm
    ----
I should have provided a copy of the document. Sorry!

Here it is............

[img=http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/1740/adamdemossapplicationhd6.th.jpg]

lilbees

-> Non-Italian Genealogy