Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Can Someone Read This
-> Translations

#1: Can Someone Read This Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:25 am
    ----
I lost several files last night but luckily I was able to recover many of them. Unfortunately, they are all pretty dark. I am having trouble reading this one for Arrigo Andriano and I am sure he is a relative of mine. Can someone help?

Arrigo Andriano Death 1903

#2: Re: Can Someone Read This Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:22 am
    ----
L'anno 1903, addì 10 di Gennaio alle ore 11,30 nella casa Comunale.
A me Mauri Giovanni Sindaco ed Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del Comune di XXX è pervenuta copia dell'atto di morte di Andriano Arrigo, la quale è del tenore seguente:

Now i must leave: this evening i'll try with the rest.

Ciao

Luca

#3: Re: Can Someone Read This Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:52 pm
    ----
A me Mauri Giovanni Sindaco ed Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del Comune di XXX è pervenuta copia dell'atto di morte di Andriano Arrigo, la quale è del tenore seguente:
Governo dell'Eritrea, Commissariato Regionale di Massaua, Stato Civile: estratto dal registro degli atti di morte dell'anno 1902.
Nr. 7. Andriano Arrigo. L'anno millenovecentodue [1902], addì 20 Dicembre, a ore 9(?) in Massaua. Io Salvadei Giovanni Commissario Regionale di Massaua, Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del Distretto di Massaua, avendo ricevuto dal Sig. comandante xxx xxx Tenente dei R.R. Carabinieri un avviso in data di oggi relativo alla morte di cui appresso, e che munito del mio visto inserisco nel volume degli allegati a questo registro, do atto che durante la carica del treno xxx xxx xx xxx e nel treno stesso fra le ore 4,50 e le ore 6,06 del 19 corrente [mese] è morto Andriano Arrigo del fu Giuseppe e della fu Rosa Chirixxxta, di anni 40, xxx xxx. di professione ferroviere, non meglio indicato. L'Ufficiale dello Stato civile G. Salvadei. Per copia conforme. Massawa 23 Dicembre 1902. L'Ufficiale dello Stato Civile G. Salvadei.
Eseguita la trascrizione ho munito del mio visto ed inserito la copia suddetta nel volume degli allegati a questo registro.
L'Ufficiale dello Stato Civile.

Ciao
Luca

#4: Re: Can Someone Read This Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 pm
    ----
Luca wrote:
Governo dell'Eritrea, Commissariato Regionale di Massaua, Stato Civile: estratto dal registro degli atti di morte dell'anno 1902.
Nr. 7. Andriano Arrigo. L'anno millenovecentodue [1902], addì 20 Dicembre, a ore 9(?) in Massaua. Io Salvadei Giovanni Commissario Regionale di Massaua, Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del Distretto di Massaua, avendo ricevuto dal Sig. comandante xxx xxx Tenente dei R.R. Carabinieri un avviso in data di oggi relativo alla morte di cui appresso, e che munito del mio visto inserisco nel volume degli allegati a questo registro, do atto che durante la carica del treno xxx xxx xx xxx e nel treno stesso fra le ore 4,50 e le ore 6,06 del 19 corrente [mese] è morto Andriano Arrigo del fu Giuseppe e della fu Rosa Chirixxxta, di anni 40, xxx xxx. di professione ferroviere, non meglio indicato. L'Ufficiale dello Stato civile G. Salvadei. Per copia conforme. Massawa 23 Dicembre 1902. L'Ufficiale dello Stato Civile G. Salvadei.
Eseguita la trascrizione ho munito del mio visto ed inserito la copia suddetta nel volume degli allegati a questo registro.
L'Ufficiale dello Stato Civile.

Translation:
In the year 1903, on the 19 January at 11.30 in the town hall.
Before me Mauri Giovanni Mayor and Officer of the Registrar’s office of the Comune of XXX has arrived a copy of the death act of Andriano Arrigo, the contents of which are as follows:
Government of Eritrea, Regional Commissary of Massaua, Civil Status: Extract from the register of deaths for 1902.

No. 7. Andriano Arrigo. The year nineteen hundred and two (1902), on the 20 December, at 9(?) in Massaua. I Salvadei Giovanni Regional Commissari of Massaia, Registrar of the Civil Status office of the District of Massaia, having received from the Commandant Sig. xxxxxxx Lieutenant of the Royal Carabinieri notice that today regarding the death which having here and equipped with sight of this I insert it in the volume of the certificates of this register, I give notice that during the charge ** of the train xxxx xxxx xx xxx and on the same train between the hours of 4.50 and 6.06 on the 19 of the current month Andriano Arrigo son of the late Giuseppe and of the late Rosa Chirixxxta, aged 40 died, xxx xxx by profession a railwayman, not better described.
The Registrar of the Civil Status office G. Salvadei. As a true copy. Massaua 23 December 1902. The Registrar of the Civil Status office G. Salvadei.
Having completed the transcription I have seen and inserted the said copy into the enclosures of this register
Registrar of the Civil Status Office.

** it is not clear if this means the train was being loaded or attacked…

#5: Re: Can Someone Read This Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:28 am
    ----
So this is my great Uncle, Arrigo, son of Giuseppe and Rosa Chiricosta. How interesting is this. I wonder if I can find out any more about what happened.

#6: Re: Can Someone Read This Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:26 am
    ----
Was there a local newspaper? Maybe they have an archive?

#7: Re: Can Someone Read This Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:47 am
    ----
I`m not even sure where Massaua is...

Oh, I forgot to say thank you Luca and Carole. How rude of me to forget Embarassed Forgive me

I appreciate the translation very much. kiss

#8: Re: Can Someone Read This Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:05 am
    ----
This is the page about Massaua from wiki (as usual... in italian Wink ).
it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massaua

Luca

#9: Re: Can Someone Read This Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:28 am
    ----
This is another page from wiki, in English!
Massawa

#10: Re: Can Someone Read This Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:06 pm
    ----
Livio and Luca..

I seem to be late, but then again, I always end up following up on my personal research last but thank you both for the links. They have been helpful.

I am going to follow up on this person. I want to see what happened. I'll get back to you when I do (which could be next year at the pace I am going).

Hugs

-> Translations