Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Another translation please
-> Translations

#16: Re: Another translation please Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:13 pm
    ----
liviomoreno wrote:
Carole wrote:

What do you think? think

I think that you did a very accurate research to accomplish your job! I simply admire and respect you.

Just for curiosity I would like to know what Luca thinks about Non commovebitur. He is the expert.

It would indeed be interesting to hear his (Luca's) 'take' on it...

Oh Luca.... where aaaaare you?

Not too sure what you mean by accomplishing my 'job' though? Confused

#17: Re: Another translation please Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:23 pm
    ----
Carole wrote:

Not too sure what you mean by accomplishing my 'job' though? Confused

"Accomplishing your job" in this case was meant as "answering to posts", "translating", and so on...

#18: Re: Another translation please Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:26 pm
    ----
Sorry for the italian..
ma il discorso è complesso e penso che usando il mio misero inglese si perderebbe buona parte del ragionamento.
Il problema principale, secondo me, sta nel fatto che stiamo parlando di un motto e non di una frase all'interno di un più ampio brano, per cui bisognerebbe sapere cosa aveva in mente di trasmettere colui che (a quel tempo) assunse quella come massima sintesi delle "qualità" della propria casata. La mia fonte primaria (sposarsi, nonostante tutto, ha i suoi vantaggi... Very Happy ) dice che la traduzione letterale potrebbe essere non sarà mosso ma sicuramente non si possono escludere anche le seguenti accezioni: commosso, turbato, scosso.
In sostanza penso che abbia voluto dire che niente e nessuno poteva far muovere o turbare le certezze, le convinzioni di quella famiglia, quindi può ben valere anche l'accezione del non ha paura.
Insomma ragazzi... sbrigatevela da soli e non mettete di mezzo me perché io, al contrario degli Scrugli, sono un fifone e non voglio litigare con nessuno Mr. Green

Luca ( Wink )

#19: Re: Another translation please Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:30 pm
    ----
You both do a wonderful job as does Luca. I would be nowhere without the 3 of you and your generousity. I really appreciate all the efforts the 3 of you contribute to this forum. I feel rather bad asking for so many translations lately but this is my family and I am still trying to figure them all out. There they all are on this (and other) websites and I cannot understand it. Thank you so much for assisting in returning the story of my family back to us! kiss

#20: Re: Another translation please Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:39 pm
    ----
Luca wrote:
Sorry for the italian..
ma il discorso è complesso e penso che usando il mio misero inglese si perderebbe buona parte del ragionamento.
Il problema principale, secondo me, sta nel fatto che stiamo parlando di un motto e non di una frase all'interno di un più ampio brano, per cui bisognerebbe sapere cosa aveva in mente di trasmettere colui che (a quel tempo) assunse quella come massima sintesi delle "qualità" della propria casata. La mia fonte primaria (sposarsi, nonostante tutto, ha i suoi vantaggi... Very Happy ) dice che la traduzione letterale potrebbe essere non sarà mosso ma sicuramente non si possono escludere anche le seguenti accezioni: commosso, turbato, scosso.
In sostanza penso che abbia voluto dire che niente e nessuno poteva far muovere o turbare le certezze, le convinzioni di quella famiglia, quindi può ben valere anche l'accezione del non ha paura.
Insomma ragazzi... sbrigatevela da soli e non mettete di mezzo me perché io, al contrario degli Scrugli, sono un fifone e non voglio litigare con nessuno Mr. Green

Luca ( Wink )

To avoid further discussions Razz Razz Razz I have used an on line translator to translate Luca's words of wisdom Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

but the speech is complex and task that using my poor English would get lost good part of the reasoning.
The main problem, second me, is in the fact that we are speaking about a maxim and not about a phrase inside of a wider brano, for which would have to know what had in mind to transmit he who (to that time) assumed that one like maximum synthesis of the “qualities” of the own lineage. My source primary (to marry itself, in spite of everything, has its advantages… Very Happy) says that the literal translation could be will not be moved but sure the following meanings cannot be excluded also: affected, upsotten, shaken.
In short task that it has intentional to say that nothing and nobody could make to move or to upset the certainties, the convictions of that family, therefore can very be worth also the meaning of does not have fear.
Insomma boys… sbrigate it to you by themselves and you do not put of means me because I, on the contrary of the Scrugli, they are a fifone and I do not want to litigate with nobody
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

#21: Re: Another translation please Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:06 pm
    ----
Thank you Livio and Luca! I understand the motto - it describes my dad! Wink I think stubborn would be a good word too! lol Thank you all so much.
Now, I have a question for anyone. My aunt Carmela Scrugli - on her death record (in the United States) her name was listed as Carmela Aloisio Scrugli Martino. She was married while still living in Italy to the Italian Ambassador to Egypt I beleive. He died not long after they married. She came to the US and married a Frank Martino so I always assumed Aloisio was the name of her husband in Italy. The talk of the notary Francesco Scrugli made me remember that his notary work is published so when I looked it up on the Vibo Valentia website I saw this:
De Aloisio Scrugli Francesco, 1635-1640, voll.5. Shocked What is DeAloisio? Is that their true surname? Is it a title? Surprised I am so confused!
Here is where I saw that reference: www.archivi.benicultur...astico.htm
I think it is the State Archives of Vibo Valentia.

#22: Re: Another translation please Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:38 pm
    ----
liviomoreno wrote:
because I, on the contrary of the Scrugli, they are a fifone and I do not want to litigate with nobody
Not the Scrugli but I am a Fifone Very Happy

Luca

#23: Re: Another translation please Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:39 pm
    ----
Luca wrote:
liviomoreno wrote:
because I, on the contrary of the Scrugli, they are a fifone and I do not want to litigate with nobody

Luca

"Fifone"?

YOU? I would never have guessed.....

Last edited by Carole on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

#24: Re: Another translation please Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:50 pm
    ----
liviomoreno wrote:
Luca wrote:
Sorry for the italian..

Luca ( Wink )

To avoid further discussions Razz Razz Razz I have used an on line translator to translate Luca's words of wisdom Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

but the speech is complex and task that using my poor English would get lost good part of the reasoning.
The main problem, second me, is in the fact that we are speaking about a maxim and not about a phrase inside of a wider brano, for which would have to know what had in mind to transmit he who (to that time) assumed that one like maximum synthesis of the “qualities” of the own lineage. My source primary (to marry itself, in spite of everything, has its advantages… Very Happy) says that the literal translation could be will not be moved but sure the following meanings cannot be excluded also: affected, upsotten, shaken.
In short task that it has intentional to say that nothing and nobody could make to move or to upset the certainties, the convictions of that family, therefore can very be worth also the meaning of does not have fear.
Insomma boys… sbrigate it to you by themselves and you do not put of means me because I, on the contrary of the Scrugli, they are a fifone and I do not want to litigate with nobody

Now THAT is an awesome piece of translation Livio. giornale

It just shows how good electronic translations can be... or not, as the case may be!

The lesson is a good one folks...

BEWARE ELECTRONIC TRANSLATIONS!!!

#25: Re: Another translation please Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:55 pm
    ----
Luca wrote:
liviomoreno wrote:

Luca
You are too funny Luca! Very Happy

#26: Re: Another translation please Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:36 am
    ----
Carole wrote:

"Fifone"?

YOU? I would never have guessed.....

Mr. Green

L.

-> Translations