Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Pastizzi?
-> Recipes

#1: Pastizzi? Author: alanmercieca PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:34 pm
    ----
This is not as much about getting or about providing a recipe it's way more about curiosity.

Anyone live in a village were Pastizzi is a traditional food?

I used to believe that Pastizzi was only traditional in Malta and in Maltese communities until I had seen a post on a forum somewhere a statement that he or she lives in a village where it's Italian traditional to make and to eat Pastizzi.

Then I heard that in Australia in a Australian Maltese community they were selling Italian Pastizzi in grocery stores and then I learned that in a Maltese community in Michigan USA Italians were making Pastizzi for the Maltese community in their Italian restaurant and they make Pastizzi as good as they make it in Malta

Anyone try Pastizzi period?

#2: Re: Pastizzi? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:04 pm
    ----
We have those here! I love them. I like the spinach and ricotta ones best (we are talking about the same thing, aren't we?)

#3: Re: Pastizzi? Author: alanmercieca PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:26 pm
    ----
Yes except that in Malta they do not have spinach

In Malta they are ricotta and parsley or anchovy or peas and curry

Here is a picture of what the Pastizzi I am talking about look like

there are round Pastizzi as well although those are not as good

nuccia wrote:
We have those here! I love them. I like the spinach and ricotta ones best (we are talking about the same thing, aren't we?)

#4: Re: Pastizzi? Author: alanmercieca PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:34 pm
    ----
this one is more like the Pastizzi that I am used too seeing

nuccia wrote:

#5: Re: Pastizzi? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:42 pm
    ----
Yes these are the same ones I was talking about. I haven't tried them all though. I think I may hit one of the bakeries soon though and pick some up. I have been so good with my diet lately that I deserve a treat!

#6: Re: Pastizzi? Author: alanmercieca PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:27 am
    ----
In Toronto there is a Maltese community and they have a Maltese bakery there ...I have only heard about "Malta bake shop" I have never been there

nuccia wrote:
Yes these are the same ones I was talking about. I haven't tried them all though. I think I may hit one of the bakeries soon though and pick some up. I have been so good with my diet lately that I deserve a treat!

#7: Re: Pastizzi? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:21 pm
    ----
The Malta Bake Shop and Cafe is not too far from me Alan. As a matter of fact, I work right up the street. Its a bit cold now but I promise that I will try and get out there once it's warmer and I am able to walk easier (I am still afraid of slipping so I don't leave the store to go anywhere) and I'll take some pictures for you.

Here's the address and a link to the map...I work near George Bell Area at the Old Stockyards.

Malta Bake Shop & Cafe
Write a review
3256 Dundas Street West
Toronto, ON M6P 2A3
(416) 769-2174‎

maps.google.ca/maps?ie...500&li=lmd

#8: Re: Pastizzi? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:00 pm
    ----
This might be of some interest - this blog doesn't rate the 'pastizzi' as high as some other Bake Shop products...

I guess think 'the proof is in the eating!'

>Malta Bake Shop Toronto<

#9: Re: Pastizzi? Author: alanmercieca PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:14 am
    ----
By what I heard from people who went to the Malta bake shop is that the Pastizzi are better in Malta unlike the Italia Bakery in Dearborn Michigan that makes Pastizzi as good as in Malta

I think that the Malta Bake shop and cafe probably just uses American all purpose flour instead of using the European all purpose flour which has a much stronger flavour and a much different results when compared to the American all purpose flour

Carole wrote:
This might be of some interest - this blog doesn't rate the 'pastizzi' as high as some other Bake Shop products...

I guess think 'the proof is in the eating!'

>Malta Bake Shop Toronto<

#10: Re: Pastizzi? Author: JohnBonello PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:43 pm
    ----
Post deleted by moderator.

-> Recipes