Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: I just asked about italian records
-> General Discussion Groups

#16: Re: I just asked about italian records Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:03 pm
    ----
They're amazing, Liz. And a lot less work than what we do.

Smile

#17: Re: I just asked about italian records Author: chanchisfea PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:22 pm
    ----
After the 2 times I did the scanning and uploading to CD I was very frustrated with the quality of the images I got to work with and whenever I wanted to use the one and ONLY viewer connected to a scanner & computer I always seem to have problems...either someone was already using it or whomever used it last didn't leave it with the correct setting, etc., etc. I just gave up on that thing!!! It just required way too much patience and lets just say THAT is something I don't have much of, LOL

Liz Cool

#18: Re: I just asked about italian records Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:32 pm
    ----
Wow..thats very good quality! LOL Talk about getting old..what box? Is that pix off the screen? The screen you see it on at the fhl? Not the film itself..the pix on the screen. By bottom area..you meant the screen, right?

(I sound like I am having a contest with myself on how many times I can say the word, screen). lmao

I am copying and saving your post...just in case..since we will be getting a digital camera in the house.

Oh..and nobody from the fhl has answered me, yet.

#19: Re: I just asked about italian records Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:33 pm
    ----
Ok they answered...it isnt all that informative, tho:

Dear Janice

All I can tell you is that the church has to have legal contracts with the custodians of the records before they can index them. If the film is in our vault, they will be indexed at some point. They are working very hard to get the contracts so all the films can be indexed. When that will happen, I cannot tell you. All you can do is keep a watch at the 'upcoming projects' and that will let you know that they will be coming. Hopefully the ones you are interested in will show up sooner than later. Thanks for all your work.

Sincerely,
Indexing Administration
jas

#20: Re: I just asked about italian records Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:57 pm
    ----
Well I heard from a fairly reliable source that if a group or organization requests a group of certain films from Salt Lake that they may send them to the FHC for indexing for free. Not exactly the best solution but perhaps a good way to get the records online faster.

#21: Re: I just asked about italian records Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:39 am
    ----
Ya lost me. Do you mean...say there is an italian american club in your city..and they wanted the records for naples...sent to the fhl in your city...then they would index those faster?

LOL Well, not in your city..that would have to be an italian canadian club.

#22: Re: I just asked about italian records Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:31 pm
    ----
I think she means if I want to index Montalto I can show them my Cosenza Exchange or my Montalto Uffugo.Net and say "we" want to index Montalto. Of course, "we" would be me. lol

#23: Re: I just asked about italian records Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:25 pm
    ----
You're both correct. You would have to contact Salt Lake for more details but there is a very good possibility that they will send the records for indexing to your FHC at no charge. That's as far as I know. I may just call them and see.

#24: Re: I just asked about italian records Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:19 pm
    ----
Boy..if I could get a cd of my towns to index from home..I would do that in a heartbeat.

Well, some of the Italian families of the 1920 US census for massachusetts, have a better chance of finding some of their folks..lol I have found some italian neighborhoods..and went into each family (not only the ones that are in red for me to fix)..fixing up their names..lol Its too bad there werent people from each nationality working on their own people. You had to see what some did to names like Bonaventura and Annunziata..lol But,,hey..I am sure I wasnt too swift with the Turkish names, either..lol

I am amazed I am still enjoying this. I have to say..I do sometimes get some chuckles. I had a person today..that took all of the numbers from left to right (address, etc) and made that the family number..lol

-> General Discussion Groups