Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Flooding in Venice!
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Flooding in Venice! Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:30 pm
    ----
Have you seen these pictures?

www.nytimes.com/slides...=permalink

Click on the slide show.

#2: Re: Flooding in Venice! Author: Cathy PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:46 pm
    ----
I saw that yesterday...so terrible. Something really needs to be done...I have seen news clips of Venice flooding many times before. They have so many beautiful treasures including the buildings. It would be horrible to lose any of it.
On a side note, was it just me or was anyone else amused by the picture of the men sitting outside at the tables up to their knees in water? Very Happy

#3: Re: Flooding in Venice! Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:53 pm
    ----
Yeah, that pic was great. What a great attitude, like so what, there is a little water, let me drink my espresso in peace Wink

#4: Re: Flooding in Venice! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:29 pm
    ----
Thought you might be interested in this article too. The same subject - flooding in Venice - but from a diffrent aspect!

>Venice - High Water Package<

Strange that there aren't any boardwalks in the NYT photos. The Venetians ususally get those out very quickly as you can see here!

#5: Re: Flooding in Venice! Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:05 pm
    ----
How awul.

The men are drinking wine..not coffee. They probably arent even aware of the flooding..lol

#6: Re: Flooding in Venice! Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:49 am
    ----
Carole wrote:
Strange that there aren't any boardwalks in the NYT photos. ...

From what I heard the boardwalks were not high enough! The tide reached 1.56 meters (5+ feet).

Eleven wrote:
...The men are drinking wine..not coffee. They probably arent even aware of the flooding...

They are drinking wine because they know that there is the flooding! Very Happy And they would drink wine also if there was no flooding! Very Happy

#7: Re: Flooding in Venice! Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:44 am
    ----
People here have been taught to drink anything! In this case people had to drink water so that the level could lower down. Ha, ha, ha. The mayor said not to worry it happens once every 20 years

party

Ada

#8: Re: Flooding in Venice! Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:21 am
    ----
Hi Ada! Your new here - Welcome to Gente!! Very Happy

#9: Re: Flooding in Venice! Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:31 pm
    ----
Thank you Cathy! Yes, I'm new to this forum but some members here know me already. I live in the Venetian mainland, at present. I must correct what I wrote before: Venice experiences high water every year many times a year but water reaches this level (1.56 meter) every 20 years (hopefully and according to statistics).

hide

Ada

#10: Re: Flooding in Venice! Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:08 pm
    ----
LOL. I must be blind. Yes it is wine. Now that makes sense Wink

#11: Re: Flooding in Venice! Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:39 pm
    ----
Yes, it's Prosecco for sure. Here it's called "Ombra" or "Ombretta", literally "shadow" or "little shadow"although it' a full glass of Prosecco. I think it refers to what you'll see after you have drunk an Ombra in the morning with empty stomach.

Ada

#12: Re: Flooding in Venice! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:06 pm
    ----
Hi Ada!

Yes I recognize you from IG. Nice to have you here and I look forward to reading more of your posts. You will fit in here..you used the "bananas" right away. lol lol

-> General Discussion Groups