Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Need help
-> Translations

#1: Need help Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:42 pm
    ----
I have posted what I think is an extract of the death record of Caterina Scarlato - a woman I descend from twice. I cannot make out the names of her parents...I realize this image is of a poor quality but am hoping someone can read what I cannot. The extract is HERE. Her husband was Francesco Nicastro. I apologize for the poor quality of this image.
Any help would be appreciated.

#2: Re: Need help Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:20 pm
    ----
Hi, Cathy!

Tough one. I was able to read "Caterina Scarlato, wife of Francesco Nicastro" but then things get confusing.
Born to Carmine? ?
Daughter of Rosaria? ?

What comune is the record from--Montalto, Rende or someplace else?

Biff

#3: Re: Need help Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:25 pm
    ----
Montalto...I scanned this before they fixed the scanner so the image is very dark. I may have to go back and rescan it. It was in with marriage records of her son in 1839.

#4: Re: Need help Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:28 pm
    ----
Atto di morte
Numero d'ordine 175
L'anno 1822, il di 18 del mese di Dicembre alla xxx, avanti di noi Giuseppe Martinetti(!) Sindaco ed Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del comune di Montalto, distretto di Cosenza, provincia di Calabria Citra, sono comparsi Menestò Filippo vicino della defunta di anni 30, di professione custode di troie (sic!), regnicolo, domiciliato in detto Comune contrada xxx, e Filippo Fatino anche vicino di anni 25 di professione xxx, regnicolo domiciliato in detto Comune e contrada, i quali mi hanno dichiarato che nel giorno 17 di Dicembre, anno corrente suddetto alle ore 4 della notte è morta nella propria casa Caterina Scarlato moglie di Francesco Nicastro, nata in detto Comune di Montalto(!), figlia del fu Rosario di professione (missing) domiciliato (missing) e di Maria di Bruno(!!!), domiciliata in detto Comune di Montalto, di anni 37(!), di professione contadina, domiciliata (repeated!) in detto Comune, contrada suddetta di xxx

Sorry for the xxx

luca

#5: Re: Need help Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:42 pm
    ----
Thanks Luca!! You are amazing!! The contrada is Parantoro! Is her madre Maria di Bruno or Maria di Buono? Both are local names. I never saw a di before Bruno before. Embarassed
Woo hoo!! Another generation back!! YAY! Thanks so much Luca!! kiss
And now...I have to do this...sorry Carole!
party

#6: Re: Need help Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:59 pm
    ----
Cathy wrote:
...Is her madre Maria di Bruno or Maria di Buono?

Question

L.

#7: Re: Need help Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:38 pm
    ----
Luca wrote:
Atto di morte
Numero d'ordine 175
L'anno 1822, il di 18 del mese di Dicembre alla xxx, avanti di noi Giuseppe Martinetti(!) Sindaco ed Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del comune di Montalto, distretto di Cosenza, provincia di Calabria Citra, sono comparsi Menestò Filippo vicino della defunta di anni 30, di professione custode di troie (sic!), regnicolo, domiciliato in detto Comune contrada xxx, e Filippo Fatino anche vicino di anni 25 di professione xxx, regnicolo domiciliato in detto Comune e contrada, i quali mi hanno dichiarato che nel giorno 17 di Dicembre, anno corrente suddetto alle ore 4 della notte è morta nella propria casa Caterina Scarlato moglie di Francesco Nicastro, nata in detto Comune di Montalto(!), figlia del fu Rosario di professione (missing) domiciliato (missing) e di Maria di Bruno(!!!), domiciliata in detto Comune di Montalto, di anni 37(!), di professione contadina, domiciliata (repeated!) in detto Comune, contrada suddetta di xxx

Sorry for the xxx

luca

Translation:
Death record
Order number 175
The 18th of the month of December in the year 1822 at XXX, before me Giuseppe Martinetti (!) Mayor and State Registrar for the Comune of Montalto, Cosenza district, Province of Calabria Citra, there appeared Menestò Filippo neighbour of the deceased aged 30, by profession a keeper of pigs (?), native of this kingdom, domiciled in the said Comune quarter XXX, and Filippo Fatino also a neighbour aged 25 by profession XXX, native of this kingdom, domiciled in the Comune and quarter, who declared to me that on the 17 day of December, in the current, above stated year, at 4 in the night Caterina Scarlato, wife of Francesco Nicastro died in her own house, born in the said Comune of Montalto(!), daughter of the late Rosario by profession (missing) domiciled in (missing) and of Maria di Buono, domiciled in the said Comune of Montalto, aged 37 (!) by profession a peasant, domiciled (repeated) in the said Comune of XXX

#8: Re: Need help Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:49 pm
    ----
Thank you both! Again, I apologize for the poor quality of the image.
Oh Nuccia! Another name for the surname database! Very Happy

#9: Re: Need help Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:23 pm
    ----
Cool! Send me all the info in the usual format and I'll enter it this weekend.

-> Translations