Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help with translation of Catasto Onciario extracts
-> Translations

#16: Re: Help with translation of Catasto Onciario extracts Author: mahartLocation: Liverpool UK PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:17 pm
    ----
Hey Nuccia,
It's been awhile how are you?

Mark

#17: Re: Help with translation of Catasto Onciario extracts Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:37 pm
    ----
This is an old "scarparo"
scarparo

Ada

#18: Re: Help with translation of Catasto Onciario extracts Author: mahartLocation: Liverpool UK PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:38 pm
    ----
Luca was right regarding 'Ciccio' Is name is actually Francesco, his wife is Pasqua de Candia and the son that follows is actually Lazaro. What does not make sense is Francesco's 'Ciccio' occupation. I can really zoom into it and it looks like 'impotundese le fugi??. Antonio 'Ant' is followed by notare, he does become a Scrivano so does that mean he was studying to be a Notaro at the tender age of 13 yrs?

Regards Mark

#19: Re: Help with translation of Catasto Onciario extracts Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:55 pm
    ----
That's ok for Lazzaro (it is written with only a "z" but it doesn't matter).
Pasqua is very hard to read! Maybe the filler wrote "Pasca" but it's a very odd way to write that name!
For the occupation, the only word i was able to imagine is "impotente" but just in this moment i had a "brainwave": it says "impotente per la regina" Wink (Carole, please translate!)
Antonio was (in my opinion) scolaro and not notaro.

Ciao
Luca

#20: Re: Help with translation of Catasto Onciario extracts Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:30 pm
    ----
Luca wrote:
That's ok for Lazzaro (it is written with only a "z" but it doesn't matter).
Pasqua is very hard to read! Maybe the filler wrote "Pasca" but it's a very odd way to write that name!
For the occupation, the only word i was able to imagine is "impotente" but just in this moment i had a "brainwave": it says "impotente per la regina" Wink (Carole, please translate!)
Antonio was (in my opinion) scolaro and not notaro.

Ciao
Luca

Not sure that I'll be of much use - but for what it's worth here's my 2 cents...

Pasqua / Pasca. Could either of these have 'originally' been PASQUALE?

Impotente could mean: ineffective, weak, sexually impotent
Therefore "impotente per la regina" might mean being any of these 'for the queen'!

Luca concludes that he thinks Antonio was a scholar and not a notary.

#21: Re: Help with translation of Catasto Onciario extracts Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:41 pm
    ----
There is an italian proverb that says: "chi non è buono per il re, non è buono neanche per la regina". It means that a man declared unfit for military service in the common opinion is (or was) considered not "valid" for a woman too. But it is a "colloquial" expression and i don't think it was used in the censuses! Maybe it stands for unable to work, invalid or similar, but i can't give you a definitive answer.
For Carole: yes, Pasqua or Pasquina is the feminine version of the name Pasquale. My doubt was, instead, in the word written in the census: i'm not sure that Paolo's wife name is Pasqua; if yes, the compiler wrote it in a very bad way.

Ciao
Luca

-> Translations