Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: SECURITY ALERT - Internet Explorer!
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: SECURITY ALERT - Internet Explorer! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:57 am
    ----
You may have seen this disturbing news that broke yesterday.

<Internet Explorer Fault<

If you haven't, then please read the article. What to do - is something you must decide. Personally, though I have IE on my pc, I NEVER use it. I always use FIREFOX!

#2: Re: SECURITY ALERT - Internet Explorer! Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:14 pm
    ----
I just swapped IE for Firefox. I like it and I'm told it's more secure. Don't know that for a fact but I sleep better now. Joe B.

#3: Re: SECURITY ALERT - Internet Explorer! Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:57 am
    ----
I did see this on TV but I had already changed to firefox and this made me do the other update that firefox was offering. Younever know just how clever other people can be to get information from your computer. I am getting so many spam messages on my email just now -up to 12 sometimes more every day and I just delete them without opening them, then I sit and worry just in case its from someone who is trying to find some information Sad
but I feel I'm better to be safe rather than sorry
Emmy

#4: Re: SECURITY ALERT - Internet Explorer! Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:38 pm
    ----
I think it's OK to read the message, just don't open any attachments. At least I hope it's OK, cause that's what I do all the time... Wondering now?

#5: Re: SECURITY ALERT - Internet Explorer! Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:02 pm
    ----
Depends. If you don't have the displaying of images turned off then that alerts the sender that you have opened the email and can even contain some not so pleasant things. Most ISP's offer some sort of filter lists connected to known users you provide. I use both Earthlink and Gmail. Gmail has terrific spam filters and there is a way you can run all of your mail through Gmail before it comes to your usual mail client. Anyway, I'd suggest ditching Outlook Express for example and selecting another email client. Thunderbird is much better but many people don't switch because they have gotten used to the MS stuff; however, Outlook is much better than Outlook Express but you have to pay for that, although you already pay through the nose when you purchase an MS OS anyway Smile

#6: Re: SECURITY ALERT - Internet Explorer! Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:52 pm
    ----
Right now I'm running Firefox, Gmail with the Mozilla Thunderbird overlay, and all filters are on. No pop ups, very little spam. What I do get in the way of spam is usually my own fault for ordering junk over the Internet. Then they claim your a customer and send send send. Thanks for the information. I feel better about the whole thing now.

#7: Re: SECURITY ALERT - Internet Explorer! Author: debbthLocation: Agassiz, BC PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:42 pm
    ----
JoeB wrote:
Right now I'm running Firefox, Gmail with the Mozilla Thunderbird overlay, and all filters are on. No pop ups, very little spam. What I do get in the way of spam is usually my own fault for ordering junk over the Internet. Then they claim your a customer and send send send. Thanks for the information. I feel better about the whole thing now.

How do you have Gmail with the Mozilla Thunderbird overlay?

#8: Re: SECURITY ALERT - Internet Explorer! Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:37 am
    ----
Quote::
How do you have Gmail with the Mozilla Thunderbird overlay?

He's probably using Thunderbird as his email client on his desktop but has a gmail account for his email address and enabling the imap feature on Gmail. By doing this, one can take advantage of Gmail's superior spam filtering capabilities, storage, etc., and still receive one's email through one's desktop email client without logging into Gmail via one's web browser.

I do this on my iBook using Apple's mail client. One has the advantage of retaining a copy on Gmail's servers in the event of a problem with one's computer--failed hard drive etc. And, there is the claim that IMAP is more reliable than POP mail service.

There are instructions for doing this on Gmail under Setting-->Forwarding and POP/IMAP

#9: Re: SECURITY ALERT - Internet Explorer! Author: JoeBLocation: Chicago Area PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:17 pm
    ----
You are right TJBRN. Thanks for explaining as I wasn't all that sure how it worked myself!

#10: Re: SECURITY ALERT - Internet Explorer! Author: debbthLocation: Agassiz, BC PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:10 pm
    ----
Thanks for the info. I have downloaded Thunderbird and I am receiving my mail through it from gmail. The only problem is it looks like I will now have to re-do all my message filters in Thunderbird.

-> PC Info and Guides