Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Comune unable to locate records!
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Comune unable to locate records! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:45 am
    ----
I have recently been in a discussion with a comune who denied any record of my family in their comune.

I had located 5 of the children born in Lercara Friddi on the LDS films and copied them.

After several emails back and forth they still cannot locate anything.

This a.m. I responded with the copies of the Italian birth records I have for those children. I am now waiting for a response. I know the family surname is difficult to discern when looking through records, at least on film. But, never the less I did find them. There are so many ways to write the various letters in the name I can understand their difficulty.

I wanted to have certificates of birth in addition to the film photocopy. I also wanted them to search for any other family records for me.

Have others had a similar problem?

lilbees

#2: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:35 pm
    ----
In my 16 years worth of experience, I found that, nobody looks...the way you look.

I dont know if you can still do this, but when I began to research, you could send to the national archives to search ship passenger lists for you, for free. Once they searched, they would mail you to say if they found the person or not. If you wanted a copy..it was 10 dollars, but they sent you a huge record..very big, size wise.

I would send to have a search done, then go myself to the New York City public library. We went 4 times. In those 4 times, I found all of the people I was looking for. The national archives found one.

I will bet you money, that half of the places I wrote to for documents, that couldnt find them..didnt look the way I would look.

I get the funny feeling, that when we mail to italy..the most they will do is look at the index...and many times, names are omitted there.

They will not search...as far as giving them a span of a few years. You seem to need the exact date.

I think your records are there...you have them right in your hand. But, if those names arent on the index...or if they cant make out the handwriting...thats the kind of reply you will get.

You can try writing to the provincial capitol. I had more luck with them. I was looking for 2 people. They sent me the correct document for one..and 2-3 for the other, because they had the same name.

I guess it could also depend on the person opening your mail...but, when I was dealing with the town..I kept getting the same person..and this person would not search a span of years.

#3: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:43 pm
    ----
What I found in this situation was that after first learning they could find nothing I rented the LDS Films for the years needed. It took quite a bit of time but I eventually found them. To begin with, I did have dates of birth, etc. As it turned out most were off about a year. When I had the copies I did correct my information to reflect the dates on the documents.

I furnished this information including the registry number and they still said they could not find them. We will see, with the actual copies I attached of the records, if they find them and will issue a Certificate of Birth.

I am sure I will hear tomorrow.

As for writing to the provincial capitol, I did not know if that was possible. When I contact the Palermo Archives they referred me to the comune. My understanding is that the Archives will not do a search. You must have fairly complete information. I will stand corrected if I am wrong. Would love to have them search for me.

lilbees

#4: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:26 pm
    ----
I wrote the archives for my great grandfather after I got just an extract from the town and it had parents unknown. At that time, I didnt know that you could request a copy. I thought I would give the provincial capitol (Potenza) a shot. I had the exact date for the birth..and while I was at it, I asked for another record that I had the dates for. I cant even recall why I wanted that one.

They sent me back the copies, which I was so happy to get, because it contained a big notation on the bottom. I didnt even trust my limited Italian reading or a translation program, so I had someone from an Italian group that I belonged to, translate it for me. This woman went line by line, first translating, then explaining what everything meant.

Anyway, I cant say that they did a search...I had the dates, but they did sent me a couple of different copies for the second person. Of course, just one of them was mine. Maybe they saw 2 on the index and just copied both.

#5: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:59 pm
    ----
What you are suggesting I have in deed done as well. At least in most cases. In one case I was looking for a copy of the marriage record which, as it turns out, because of damage to the books, they could not provide. But, I did get me gg grandfather's birth record which they did have. Very greatful for it. So we must all prepare for some nice surprises along with the bad.

lilbees

#6: Re: Comune unable to locate records! UPDATE..... Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:17 am
    ----
Had good news today from Lercara Friddi.

They were most appreciative of my sending copies of the records I had located on the microfilm from the LDS Library. They were then able to locate the actual records.

The clerk explained that all indexes for a ten year period were missing, 1868 thru 1878. That problem made it very difficult to locate records in that time period. As they have time, they will begin to search for the other birth records I have indicated so that I will have an official copy from the comune. giornale

As explained, it will take them some time but they will be working on it.

I sent a note this a.m. expressing my appreciation with a big smiley and a thank you to the individual. lol

lilbees

PS Always like to give the good with the bad

#7: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:34 pm
    ----
Good job, lilbees! Keep us posted on what happens. Smile

#8: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:15 pm
    ----
Thats great!!

#9: Re: Comune unable to locate records! Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:23 pm
    ----
A little bit of "honey" or encouragement helps. (I hope this works on Roccapiemonte as well. I sent the director a note of appreciation last week for all his hard work on my behalf Wink )

lilbees

-> General Discussion Groups