Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Surname Collomosse
-> Northern Italy

#16: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:37 pm
    ----
Wow..I'm impressed! I fell asleep for a while and I come back to all this. Its wonderful. Ok, definitely let us know when the certificate arrives so we can see where you stand. The marriage certificate may give additional information (if I remember correctly, the fathers name and witnesses to the marriage).

Thanks again Billie! Smile

#17: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
    ----
So he married Elizabeth France. The 1881 census says:

1881 England Census
about Elizabeth Collomosso
Name: Elizabeth Collomosso
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Thornhill, Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Thornhill
County/Island: Yorkshire

Street address: Whitley Road
Education:

Employment status:

View Image

Registration district: Dewsbury
Sub registration district: Thornhill
ED, institution, or vessel: 8
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
John Collomosso 50
Elizabeth Collomosso 47
Mary Collomosso 21
James Collomosso 20
Emma Collomosso 17
Allen Collomosso 11
Elizabeth Collomosso 13
William H. Collomosso 9
Martha Collomosso 4

So the census I first posted is the correct one. We need to see that marriage certificate to see if it does list his fathers name now which will certainly help when writing to Italy. What was his brothers name? Not sure if you ever said.

Looks like the marriage was transcribed twice, by two different people. Once it was listed as Collomoss,John,Dewsbury,9b,[7]01 (the transcriber could not read the record) so this should be interesting.

#18: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:00 pm
    ----
Death Info for both John and Elisabeth:

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1983
about John Collomosse
Name: John Collomosse
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1829
Year of Registration: 1903
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at Death: 74
District: Dewsbury
County: Yorkshire - West Riding, West Yorkshire
Volume: 9b
Page: 439 (click to see others on page)

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1983
about Elizabeth Collomosse
Name: Elizabeth Collomosse
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1835
Year of Registration: 1890
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death: 55
District: Dewsbury
County: Yorkshire - West Riding, West Yorkshire
Volume: 9b
Page: 437 (click to see others on page)

Do you have their death certificates? If so, is there any information on them?

s

#19: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:07 pm
    ----
Well, here begins to show a name change..

1861 England Census
about John Collimosse
Name: John Collimosse
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1827
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Naturalized British Subject, Italy

Ecclesiastical parish: Thornhill

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

View Image

Sub registration district: Thornhill
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Household schedule number: 40
Household Members:
Name Age
John Collimosse 34
Elizabeth Collimosse 26
John Collimosse 8
Joseph Collimosse 4
Mary Collimosse 1

And according to this census he was already naturalized. You have probably already seen all the census but I am just going to keep at this for a bit and see if anything else could help.

1851 England Census
about John Collymosia
Name: John Collymosia
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1831
Relation: Lodger
Where born: Italy

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability:

View Image

Sub registration district: Soothill
ED, institution, or vessel: 2c
Household schedule number: 56
Household Members:
Name Age
Henry Hepworth 28
Ann Hepworth 23
Joseph Hepworth 3
Catherine Hepworth 2
John Collymosia 20

According to this census he wasn't yet naturalized so at least you have a time span of when he naturalized. Now, lets see if I can find the 1841 Census to see how the name was spelled.

#20: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: jeanne PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:59 pm
    ----
Hello There

You have been very busy on my behalf and I am so happy. I have never seen the name our name written as collomosso before so thats new and it is the same family..Thats good. The other bit about the John lodging with the Hepworth family is excellent news. I have made an appointment at the church as they hace the records of Johns death and also his mariage. I will let you know that outcome of that meanwhile I am very excited about all this. It has certainly given me food for thought.

The older bother of Johns disappeared and we never found out what hapened to him but legend says that he died but we dont really know anything

I cant beleive you have got so much info in such a short space of time

Thank you

#21: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:08 pm
    ----
I noticed here that the registration district in Dewsbury includes Thornhill and Sootshill. If you don't know the area then have a look at this link to give you an idea... In the late 1800's there were nearly 140 coal mines in this area alone....

>Google Map<

This is a Wikipedia page on the area that explains a little bit about the area...
>Thornhill, Dewsbury<

Yet another link that shows how recruiting took place in Yorkshire for mining in Canada...
>Multicultural Canada<

Read the from fourth paragraph for this information...

#22: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:44 pm
    ----
jeanne wrote:
Hello There

You have been very busy on my behalf and I am so happy. I have never seen the name our name written as collomosso before so thats new and it is the same family..Thats good. The other bit about the John lodging with the Hepworth family is excellent news. I have made an appointment at the church as they hace the records of Johns death and also his mariage. I will let you know that outcome of that meanwhile I am very excited about all this. It has certainly given me food for thought.

The older bother of Johns disappeared and we never found out what hapened to him but legend says that he died but we dont really know anything

I cant beleive you have got so much info in such a short space of time

Thank you

We're so glad you're pleased! I was afraid you had the other census records. There is only one other thing..I can not place John in the 1841 Census nor can I find him in the incoming UK Passenger lists. I can't find a thing before 1851..

Now, do you know his what his brothers name was by any chance?

#23: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: jeanne PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:15 pm
    ----
Hello

No none has any idea what his brother was called and because there are no records we are thinking it was legend. I wish I could get to the bottom of it, it is frustrating.

Me personally I do think that there was a brother and this has obviously come down through the decades. Obviously we know that John settled here but there is nothing after them arriving here, there was no mention of his brother. Some relatives in the past thought the brother had died. All we know is that he disappeared and was never heard of again

Thanks again for the help you are giving me, I really do appreciate it

#24: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:09 pm
    ----
Still not having much luck with anything before 1861. I actually went out and bought a book (a bit old and out outdated but still very useful) to see if I can figure out any options for you. I just started reading it so I can't offer too much right now but I am working on it.

#25: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: jeanne PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:38 pm
    ----
hello

I am trying from this end, the church has answered and the cant help me but have directed me to wakefield FH. I amtrying fro here to get info for the 1861 census but I can't find him, but he was married by then. I am waiting for the marriage cert of John collomosse & Elizabeth France. I will let you know how I fair...............

Thank you all for ALL your help, I cant wait to find some answers and I will let you know

Thank you all

#26: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:45 pm
    ----
What type of info do you need? I can ask Carole to link the 1861 Census for you. I no longer have ancestry but lots of others here to.

Is that what you need?

#27: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:02 pm
    ----
My fingers and toes are crossed that the marriage certificate will contain some good information for you. Who knows, maybe his brother will be listed as a witness!! Let us know what happens.

#28: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: jeanne PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:11 am
    ----
Hello everyone who is interested...I got the marriage cert back for John Collomosse but no mention of the fathers name so any ideas on where I go from here.. How do I get naturalization papers

#29: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:26 pm
    ----
Hi Jeanne,

I'm sorry the marriage certificate didn't have additional information for you. I'm thinking that if you check parish records for his marriage they may contain more information (unless the document you have was the parish record of the marriage).

I'm not real familiar with English records but Carole is a pro with English records so maybe she can tell you what direction to take. And Livio also had to research records from England and he may have a few suggestions for you too.

If any other forum members have experience with English records or have any ideas please jump in so we can help Jeanne out.

#30: Re: Surname Collomosse Author: jeanne PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:38 pm
    ----
hello thanks for your answer. I have been on to ancestry for a couple of weeks and i have now drawn up the tree complete with all the spelling changes and thats good. It was your helpful guidance that did it for me though. Its a pity I just cant get some info from the Italian side. I have some Italian bllod in my veins and I sure would like to know from where in Italy

Thanks again

Jeanne

I

-> Northern Italy