Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Translation Please?
-> Translations

#1: Translation Please? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:44 pm
    ----
I just received this birth record for Maria Teresa Rescigno b. 27 Aug 1813. It looks like registry no. 96.

img3.imageshack.us/my....nobirt.jpg

Could someone translate it for me? It looks like Gennaro's age at this birth is 40?

Thank you,
lilbees

#2: Re: Translation Please? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:32 pm
    ----
The image is small but I think it also looks like 40 and she was born August 26 at 19:00 hours(?). Her mother was 39 bit I can't make out the name. Looks like Siciliana Calobre...

Sorry but I am not very good at this. Embarassed

#3: Re: Translation Please? Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:25 pm
    ----
ACT NO. 96
27 august 1813 at 14.00 hours, commune of Rocca Piemonte, Gennaro Rescigno, age 40, declares that yesterday 26th of said month at 2 a.m., in said commune, Strada Casali (road to the farms), in his own house, from him and Cicilia Calabrese his legitimate wife years 39, a baby was born and was given the name MariaTeresa.

Sorry I put pieces together as I had to save the image and enlarge it. The name is written Cicilia, but the correct name in Italian should be Cecilia. Gennaro's occupation looks to me "Falegname" carpenter, but I'm not sure.

Ada

#4: Re: Translation Please? Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:47 pm
    ----
Actually the name looks Licilia but I suppose they meant Cecilia as I never heard Licilia before unless they meant Lucilla Question

Ada

#5: Re: Translation Please? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:50 pm
    ----
Nuccia thanks for your efforts for me.

Ada,

So Maria Teresa was born on the 26 of Aug and recorded on the 27 of Aug.

The presenter name looks like Vincenza Maria
Witnesses:
Francesco Cioffo age 60, profession ?, domiciled in
? diSimone age 30, profession carpenter domiciled in ?

Sorry Ada, I am not reading much of anything right today.

lilbees

#6: Re: Translation Please? Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:14 pm
    ----
Yes she was born on 26
Vincenzo Maria di Digliolia(?) is the mayor
witness Francesco Cioffo or Ciaffo age 60 occupation Servant (?) domiciled in said commune Strada Casal Palocco
and Stefano di Simone age 30, cannot read occupation, domiciled same place as above.

Ada

#7: Re: Translation Please? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:16 pm
    ----
Wow, thank you so much. At least I can stumble through a somewhat reasonable translation to send to my cousin who will be very excited.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
lilbees

#8: Re: Translation Please? Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:20 pm
    ----
welcome Very Happy

Ada

#9: Re: Translation Please? Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:30 am
    ----
The name of the mother seems to be Sicilia Calabrese. Sicilia is very uncommon as a first name and there is a story saying that the island was named Sicilia after a princess whose name was Sicilia. See www.grifeo.it/Sicilia%...ti%20K.htm

#10: Re: Translation Please? Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:43 am
    ----
You are right Livio, it looks Sicilia but I thought it could not be that a woman could have such a name so I just went to, what to me, looked obvious. If that name was used than I agree it's Sicilia.

Grazie,

A. Very Happy

#11: Re: Translation Please? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:36 pm
    ----
On the birth record and the baptism for Giovanni, Maria Teresa's sibling, the mother's name is listed as Cecilia so I did not question the name when the translation was given. Although I will say it is much clearer on Giovanni's birth.

By lilbees at 2009-03-01

-> Translations