Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Aeillos of San Filli
-> About Us

#1: Aeillos of San Filli Author: tracer56 PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:54 pm
    ----
Seeking additional info on my familia in San Fili. My GGF FRank Aeillo (b.28 August,1866 came to the USA on February 1886. His brother Louis (Luigi) b.4th September 1873 in Sanfili, came to USA 1 February 1897. Thier fathers name was Joseph. They sailed out of Naples. In searching for thier comune, I have found three Sanfili's. From family lore, i believe them to be from the Calibria region. Stories have indicated that the family name was misspelled on thier documents, and they were afraid to say anything, fearing they would be sent back. Frank spelled his name Aeillo, Louis spelled his Aello. Can anyone help me narrow down which Sanfili these men may have came from? I have spent four years getting this far, I hope not to stop now.

#2: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:54 am
    ----
I believe that the original spelling was Aiello.

#3: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:40 am
    ----
Have you had a chance to check out the Cosenza Archive site located at 88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces ? The site is still fairly new, and their are many misspelled names and some errors but if you play around with it you may find something. You do need to register a user name and password to be able to use the site and an activation email will be sent to you. I was able to locate many of my ancestors through the site!

Hope this helps.

#4: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: tracer56 PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:37 am
    ----
Yes I tried the site you mentioned. I found no names that matched the birth dates that have been provided. The site mentioned a document "enlisted". Does that relate to thier commitment to the military or is it used to describe a social registraion?

#5: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:59 pm
    ----
liviomoreno wrote:
I believe that the original spelling was Aiello.
Could also be Ajello

#6: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: Cathy PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:13 pm
    ----
Welcome to Gente! I have some information on Aiello's in San Fili that were related to my family. I have a picture as well of one of them. I beleive they lived in the Bucita frasinone. Does Buchita ring any bells? Let me see the information I can find (in my email) tonight about them.

#7: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: Cathy PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:11 pm
    ----
tracer56 wrote:
Yes I tried the site you mentioned. I found no names that matched the birth dates that have been provided. The site mentioned a document "enlisted". Does that relate to thier commitment to the military or is it used to describe a social registraion?
The Cosenza archive is putting up copies of the military records called lista di leva. I have a question. Do you know the birthdate of Frank (Francesco) or Luigi? If so you can order a copy of the birth act from the LDS. This will list his parent's names and from there you will be able to search for further family on the archive. Also Livio is correct (as usual) the surname is spelled AIELLO and AJELLO. I have found my own Aiello line have both spellings for the same family members.

#8: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: tracer56 PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:42 am
    ----
Cathy wrote:
Welcome to Gente! I have some information on Aiello's in San Fili that were related to my family. I have a picture as well of one of them. I beleive they lived in the Bucita frasinone. Does Buchita ring any bells? Let me see the information I can find (in my email) tonight about them.

#9: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: tracer56 PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:48 am
    ----
Can anyone tell me if there is an Italian word that would relate to Pookie? My GF was called Pookie by the family. I was unsure it it was a nickname bestowed on him by a family member, or if it has some meaning in the Italian culture.

#10: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:57 am
    ----
I never heard of anybody called Pookie, in Italy It does not mean anything in Italian

#11: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: tracer56 PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:59 am
    ----
Thank You . It must have been a family thing.

#12: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:09 pm
    ----
I call my daughter Pookie sometimes...it has nothing to do with anything Italian. Just so you know, I have emailed a "cousin" who spent some time with Aiello's in Buccita, San Fili this summer. I'm afraid until we know more about your Aiello's there will be no way of knowing for sure if there is a connection.

#13: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: tracer56 PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:17 pm
    ----
Thank You. AT this time all I have of the family is the Frank and Luigi's birth dates and location (Sanfili), as well as thier fathers name. All else is in Italy. But untill a week oe so back, I did not even have that! SO I will see what the next few weeks or months bring.

#14: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:30 pm
    ----
I'm not sure if you know this but the LDS has microfilmed the San Fili State Civil Records. Since you know the birth dates for Luigi and Francesco, you can order a copy of the microfilmed image of the birth acts for a grand total of $4.00 for both. Well worth it! I have used their services myself and got my images in less than 2 weeks. If you are interested let me know and I will post the link.

#15: Re: Aeillos of San Filli Author: tracer56 PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:36 pm
    ----
Yes, That would be helpfull. I have in the last few days found there is an LDS research facility not far from here. Maybe I can aquire the records through them. But if you have the link, I will attepmt that as well.

-> About Us