Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Happy Women's Day
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Happy Women's Day Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:43 am
    ----
Came across this today! Thought I would share.

sicilia.indettaglio.it...donna.html

As it says in the article, I didn't know this holiday existed but I love it.

lilbees

#2: Re: Happy Women's Day Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:22 pm
    ----
My Old Folks Circle in the village holds a supper for the ladies on Womens Day, and we all get a small buttonhole of mimosa next to our plates.

It's fun when all the husbads and sons come to pick up the ladies - they are really poked fun at (in the nicest possible way...) by all the ladies.

Ive attached a couple of photos of our Womens Day Supper in2007. The momosa can be seen on the supper table too.
The basket has the individual buttonholes.

Oh, and before you ask - I'm the one wearing glasses (and looking startled) down at the far end of the table...

The last one is what we had just eaten for our sweet.... eat your hearts out. It was delicious...

Last edited by Carole on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Happy Women's Day Author: ElevenLocation: New York PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:36 pm
    ----
I have never heard of this. Oh well. Happy Womens day!

#4: Re: Happy Women's Day Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:30 pm
    ----
Women's Day is on March 8 and I always heard that it was meant to commemorate 148 women (many Italian) who died in the Triangle factory fire in NY in 1911. And now it seems that in USA this day is not known.
In Italy this day just turned into a commercial event and I'm not particularly interested to celebrate.

Women's Day

BTW I'm glad other people do, it was not intended to polemize, here in my town women just go crazy on that day.

Ada

#5: Re: Happy Women's Day Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:39 pm
    ----
I have never heard of it either but hey, I could use an extra holiday! Happy Woman's Day!

Oh and Ada..

I do understand how you feel. I feel the same about Christmas.. I really don't care to celebrate it for personal reasons. peep

-> General Discussion Groups