Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: A moment of competition among the sorrow!
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: A moment of competition among the sorrow! Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:23 am
    ----
This was posted on the Italy Magazine site this morning. The poster agreedto lety me copy it here for you - Thank you for that Charles!

The very apt title given was: "Cheerful earthquake stories". I do hope you will agree...

Quote::

"Cheerful earthquake stories"
There are lots of heartwarming stories coming out of the rescue efforts in l'Abruzzo - but this one is so Italian I can't resist reporting it - from today's Corriere d'Umbria.
Three of the 'tent cities', set up as a first resource for people without houses, are the responsbility of protezione civile contingents from Umbria. One of them is run by Foligno - a place which knows a lot about earthquakes. This crew is proudly pointing out that since their camp is by far the best tent-city in l'Abruzzo, people are trying by every means to get transferred to it!
They got a Post Office up and running on Tuesday, (the bar would have been a Monday job), plus playtents for the children, a Church, meeting rooms, consultation tents for the medics - alongside all the more obvious services such as kitchens and dining rooms and sleeping accommodation. They are a bit short of showers, that's all.
It's a pretty impressive feat of organisation, but the Umbrian teams are clearly in fierce competition with those from Trentino to run the best tendopoli. This sort of manic regional pride is all to the benefit of the dispersed population!

-> General Discussion Groups