Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Trouble with Counselor at NYC Consulate
-> Where do I begin?

#1: Trouble with Counselor at NYC Consulate Author: cresthaven2Location: Hudson Valley NY PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:25 pm
    ----
I thought I would bring you up-do-date on my run-in at the NYC Consulate - his name was Emilio de Francesco. I was so angry when I left smoke was coming out of my ears! When I got back home I first contact NFIA since I am a member - they gave the name of a woman in the Washington DC consulate. She gave me the name of Eva Barone (eva.barone@esteri.it) who is the head of the Vital Records Citizenship office at the NYC consulate. Iwrote her a five page letter of complaint especially emphasizing the treatment we received by this "gentleman" (I use the term loosely) and the fact he never even looked at or asked for all the documentaion THEY request on their own website! She wrote me back and (1) never even mentioned the behavior of their consular - instead she sends me a "List of Remarks" which incuded: first (x) names on the certificates and documents do NOT match - this is in reference to the five days difference in birth date of the grandfather. Second (x) letter of "no naturalziation records" issued, etc. - and this is after I gave him the certified letter along with copies of his Alien Registration Form and card!
Third (x) you are required to provide an official statement from a Court Judge to be requested from the Vital Statistics Office declaring the date of birth of John lauarito and the names of his parents and their dates of birth. So I contacted Vital Statistics, told them what was required and their response was: "Sorry -- this is not something we are familiar with -- generally, we suggest that you confirm with the office/entity that requires you provide the proof of birth what other evidence will be acceptable in the case where there is no civil record on file. We know that many of our patrons have obtained dual citizenships when there is no civil birth record (a very common situation) -- and we have never heard of anyone having to obtain a "court issued birth certificate." I just wrote Ms. Barone my third letter. I think if more people complain to Ms. Barone, something will have to be done to help us. I will keep you posted as to what happens next!

#2: Re: Trouble with Counselor at NYC Consulate Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:42 am
    ----
Give 'em hell Carol. And yes, keep us posted!

#3: Re: Trouble with Counselor at NYC Consulate Author: cresthaven2Location: Hudson Valley NY PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:30 pm
    ----
I keep remembering the old saying "Its the squeaky wheel that gets the attention" or something like that. My daughter was in Italy for six weeks and is now in Ireland. She may stop back in Rome on her way home to personally present all the paperwork which I emailed her - poor child had to download and print everything. But she was there at the NYC consulate with us and knows first hand what went on. Her friends in Italy cannot understand why we are being given such a problem over such little things.
I will also paraphrase another saying too, "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned at the NYC Italian Consulate" - waiting for some replies but nothing yet. This is a holiday weekend so I imagine it will be even slower in getting answers.
Have a Happy!
Carol Wink

-> Where do I begin?