Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Alpini Regiment
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Alpini Regiment Author: Aussie462 PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:40 pm
    ----
My grandfather was in the 6th regiment of the Alpini in WW1 and died in the war.

My father was in the 9th regiment of the Alpini in 1935.

They came from Rotzo Provance of Vicenza

Where would I be able to find these military records.

Aussie

#2: Re: Alpini Regiment Author: Cathy PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:39 pm
    ----
Hi Aussie! If I am not mistaken you can obtain a copy of his lista di leva from the province. Some of the LDS microfilms also have lista di levas. My friend is researching some towns in that province so I will check with her tomorrow night when I see her. What are your surnames from there? Maybe she knows of them.

#3: Re: Alpini Regiment Author: Aussie462 PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:52 pm
    ----
Hi Cathy

The surname is Spagnolo.
There are lots of Spagnolo's in that provance.
The full name is Matteo Spagnolo b 1885
Cirillo Spagnolo b 1914

#4: Re: Alpini Regiment Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:46 pm
    ----
I am thinking this may be the correct email and address:

Archivio Di Stato
www.archivi.beniculturali.it

Via Giovanna Beata
36061 Bassano Del Grappa (VI), Italy
+39 0424 524890

Give it a try and see what happens.

#5: Re: Alpini Regiment Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:58 am
    ----
Hi,
have a look at this

Soldati

You can see a copy of a Military Record.

This is the link you can use to request documents using e-mail

Archivio di Stato Vicenza

The postal address is

Archivio di Stato di Vicenza
Borgo Casale, 91
36100 VICENZA
Italy

If you want documents sent by post you have to send stamps for the answer.
Give them as many details as you have: father's and mother's name, Date of birth and place. The surname Spagnolo is quite common.

Good luck

Ada

#6: Re: Alpini Regiment Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:51 am
    ----
Ada thank you so much! This is one area I am always lost and need our Italian friends help. You're a star!

Smile

#7: Re: Alpini Regiment Author: Aussie462 PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:07 pm
    ----
Thank you for the address.
I think it may take them a few weeks to reply.

#8: Re: Alpini Regiment Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:38 pm
    ----
Thanks Ada! I checked with my friend and the LDS did not film Vicenza Province lista di levas. There are other records available through them though.
I have some great images of a few Alpini regiment post cards from WWI if you are interested. Let me know here or by PM and I can email them to you.

#9: Re: Alpini Regiment Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:39 am
    ----
You are all welcome. It's easier for me as I'm in Italy and can read Italian. It's a pity they don't provide an English version for the Archives' sites. They might be afraid to receive thousands of requests I suppose.

Thank you Nuccia for saying I'm a star. I will tell my family. I guess they might find it useful in case of an electricity blackout ....... Idea . No, I'm kidding, they think I'm a Superstar hide

Ada

-> General Discussion Groups