Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: finding a birth town
-> Northern Italy

#46: Re: finding a birth town Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:34 pm
    ----
I know this might be a bit late but your aunt or great aunt may have been right. This lists him as married......however.....

Manifest for Carlo Carabelli - I can post the image of the manifest but because it would not enlarge through ellis island it's a poor quality image.

First Name: Carlo
Last Name: Carabelli
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Porto Cercian
Date of Arrival: Mar 05, 1899
Age at Arrival: 28y
Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: La Champagne
Port of Departure: Havre
Manifest Line Number: 0029

#47: Re: finding a birth town Author: cherylcLocation: Ann Arbor MI USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:11 am
    ----
Thanks for searching, but I believe that is the wrong Carlo you are looking at. I think the one you saw records for was married to a woman named Adele. My GGF-Carlo was married to Carlotta and he came over to the States in 1890. He went through Castle Garden. The Cleveland city directory shows 2 Carlos living at numbers 21 and 27 on the same street. The other Carlo did indeed naturalize. Thanks again!

#48: Re: finding a birth town Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:56 am
    ----
Hi Cheryl yes I reread the thread and see that what I posted is incorrect. Have you heard anything about Carlo yet?

#49: Re: finding a birth town Author: cherylcLocation: Ann Arbor MI USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:40 pm
    ----
Hi! Actually I posted a new topic under N Italy as yesterday I got a letter from the mayor of Porto Ceresio. The topic is Procura della Repubblica di Varese -- in case you want to have a look.

#50: Re: finding a birth town Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:53 am
    ----
Seen that you cannot get the certificate from the town hall, why don't you try to get it from the parish of Porto Ceresio?

I read that the priest name is Don Danilo Lodi and the address is then:

Don Danilo Lodi
Parrocchia di Sant'Ambrogio
Via Butti, 2
21050 PORTO CERESIO (Va)
Italy

Good luck!

Ada

#51: Re: finding a birth town Author: cherylcLocation: Ann Arbor MI USA PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:55 am
    ----
Thanks for that info, Ada! I will write to him today.
Cheryl

#52: Re: finding a birth town Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:23 am
    ----
Forgot to tell you that, usually, when writing to priests you should always mention that you will pay for the search. They are not obliged to keep their old archives set in order but many of them collated all documents or charged someone to do it. Also they are not obliged to search but young priests are open minded and helpful.

Ada

#53: Re: finding a birth town Author: cherylcLocation: Ann Arbor MI USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:07 am
    ----
Thanks, Ada. I have already asked if they would accept a contribution in dollars, but did not include any. Instead, I asked them to let me know the fee for searching. Perhaps, I made a mistake in not including something already? I'll have to wait and see.

Cheryl

#54: Re: finding a birth town Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:51 am
    ----
I think you did the correct thing. They do accept contributions but they might prefer Euros instead of dollars as they will loose in changing. Wait and see what he says.

Ada

-> Northern Italy