Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Computer related --- Unlocked smart phones
-> PC Info and Guides

#1: Computer related --- Unlocked smart phones Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:25 pm
    ----
I am thinking about purchasing an "unlocked" smart phone to use on T-Mobile. I want to replace an "underwhelming experience" of using a T-Mobile DASH over the last 2 1/2 years. I am semi-retired, but I still visit my clients a few times every month and I need to be able to retrieve email when on the road.

I like my current T-Mobile plan (can you say cheap) although they sometimes have spotty service. I have narrowed my choices down to 2 new devices (both have full keyboards), but I am not sure which to choose --- Nokia N97 and HTC Touch Pro 2. I was thinking about purchasing the HTC phone directly from T-Mobile but they now MANDATE an uplifted plan for any smartphone they sell. I have no real concerns with either phone for making telephone calls (at least I hope) and since both support Wi-Fi I think I can usually find a way to check my web-based email in this fashion (and T-Mobile's 3G Network is still under development and not well respected from what I have read). Both phones are expensive ---- ~ $600+, but I don't buy one very often. Nokia uses Symbian (dated) and HTC is Windows Mobile unit (also dated)......both can use my existing T-Mobile SIM card which should allow me to send/receive phone calls (assuming there are not other issues).

just wondering if anyone has been down this path before...and can share any warnings. While most US carriers provide the phones their customers use, European phones are usually purchased this way and plans are usually sold separately.....thanks

-> PC Info and Guides