Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Help translating document
-> Translations

#106: Re: Help translating document Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:44 pm
    ----
1865, May 15th
Sebastiana Olivieri, midwife, did the statement about the birth of Ignazio Dragotto, son of Maria Teresa Cangialori, 28, living in Belmonte, and Gaspare Dragotto, 31, plowman, living in Belmonte.
Ignazio was born and baptized the day 15.

L.

#107: Re: Help translating document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:36 pm
    ----
I've noticed some other birth documents where someone other than the father reports the birth.

I'm having difficulty with the daughter's name on this birth announcement.
img25.imageshack.us/i/...zzola.jpg/

#108: Re: Help translating document Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:15 am
    ----
I think Susanna.

L.

#109: Re: Help translating document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:27 am
    ----
How is the profession "uomo di compagne" translated? How is it different from contadino or villico?

What is the groom's given name and his mother's name in this document?

img29.imageshack.us/i/...069lb.jpg/

#110: Re: Help translating document Author: LucaLocation: Terni - Italy PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:39 am
    ----
tjbrn wrote:
How is the profession "uomo di compagne" translated? How is it different from contadino or villico?

I can't say if it varies from zone to zone to indicate a different status (farmer, tenant farmer, hired hand) but i think it makes not much difference to identify the condition of their life during the XIX century; the only distinction i can see is with "possidente" (land-owner) that is a light higher step in the social class.

What is the groom's given name (Benedetto) and his mother's name (fu Rosaria d'Agostino) in this document?

img29.imageshack.us/i/...069lb.jpg/

L.

#111: Re: Help translating document Author: tjbrnLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:57 pm
    ----
Reading and understanding Allegatti is beyond difficult, especially since they are not indexed the way birth and marriage records are. Nevertheless, I found some material relevant to my research. Here is the death certificate for Gaspare Dragotto. What I am uncertain about are a few particulars in the document. Is 70 referring to Gaspare's age at death or is it the age of his wife Vincenza? Is the cause of death mentioned? It seems to indicate that Gaspare grew grapes and maybe was from Palermo originally. Is that accurate? The word after figlio appears to be "were" but I don't understand what follows that.

img94.imageshack.us/i/img2233a.jpg/

-> Translations