Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: New m -research.Coluccio- Roccella Ionica- Cimino- Caulonia
-> About Us

#1: New m -research.Coluccio- Roccella Ionica- Cimino- Caulonia Author: lbosamonte PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:28 am
    ----
Hello,
Just joined the site and it looks great!
Sorry for Novel!!!!!
I am an amateur at genealogy so I am hoping I can receive a few pointers. My father’s grandparents had emigrated from Roccella Ionica ,RC Calabria in 1899 (Cimino, Giuseppe) and in 1900 (Coluccio, Maria Rosa). My father had always wanted to visit their hometown and at age 75 he was finally able to do so. As a gift for this trip, I had hired a local genealogist to do a little research for him. The genealogist had supplied my father with the marriage and birth certificate for his grandparents. First discrep. , he had the Cimino, Giuseppe was actually born in Caulonia, a neighboring town, which made sense. The second discrep. was that he was claiming the records for their marriage in Rocella Ionica on 28 January 1897, reflected Giuseppe married a Maria Teresa Coluccio. My father was insisting this was a mistake that his grandmother’s name was Maria Rosa. The genealogist stood by his records.
When my father finally went to Roccella Ionica, he discovered at the town hall that there actually might have been a double wedding on that day for two sisters, hence the confusion. As his Italian is not that great; He still has a lot of questions. Does anyone have access to these records? He is interested in confirming this discovery, Info on the other sister, Maria Teresa and the other groom? Or perhaps if either one of them had children in Italy. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Laura

#2: Re: New m -research.Coluccio- Roccella Ionica- Cimino- Caulonia Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:26 am
    ----
Hi Laura,

Welcome to Gente. It IS possible there was a double wedding as this was common (I found a few in my own family). Can you post a copy of the records you have or at least provide the dates of birth for both Giuseppe, and Maria? Also, when were they married? I have some records for both Caulonia and Roccella and I believe I know a few people who have more so perhaps we can find out more about both Maria Rosa and Maria Teresa.

#3: Re: New m -research.Coluccio- Roccella Ionica- Cimino- Caul Author: lbosamonte PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:42 pm
    ----
Thank You Nuccia!
My GGP's info is :

Giuseppe Cimino- born on 1 Aug 1871 in Caulonia
Maria Rosa Coluccio- born 23 Mar 1870 in Rocella Ionica (per my Dad) OR
Maria Teresa Coluccio - born 15 Jun 1872 (per genealogist)

Married in Roccella Ionica 28 Jan 1897.

This is basically all I have. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated
by both my father and myself.

Many Thanks,

Laura

#4: Re: New m -research.Coluccio- Roccella Ionica- Cimino- Caulonia Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:42 pm
    ----
Hi Laura,

I will check into this for you and see what I can do. I did find a manifest for a Rosa Coluccio (born about 1870) traveling to Brooklyn with her daughter Maria, (born about 1892) and brother in law Domenico Cimino - she was going to see her husband Giuseppe (Domenico's brother).

Is this the manifest you were talking about?

First Name: Rosa
Last Name: Coluccio
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Italy
Date of Arrival: Apr 13, 1900
Age at Arrival: 30y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Trojan Prince
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0029

www.ellisisland.org/se...5256011685

#5: Re: New m -research.Coluccio- Roccella Ionica- Cimino- Caulonia Author: lbosamonte PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:31 am
    ----
Yes, That would be her!

-> About Us