Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Translation?
-> Translations

#16: Re: Translation? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:52 pm
    ----
As most regulars in this forum know, I DON'T HESITATE TO WRITE LETTERS, LOTS OF THEM!!!!!! Wink Wink Wink Wink

lilbees

#17: Re: Translation? Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:39 pm
    ----
Lilbees,
I don't think Castellammare di Stabia ever had a military district but was under Naples district. Military districts don't keep old records but give them to their Provincial State Archives usually after 50-60 years. You can write and request those records to the Military District if you want. In case they don't find anything they will turn your request to the State Archive. This is the address:
DISTRETTO MILITARE PRINCIPALE DI NAPOLI
Via Lahalle Colonnello Carlo, 55
80141 Napoli (NA)
Italy

I read something interesting about how it works with military records:
"Liste di Leva" (enlistments) are drawn up by birth town City Halls as they have birth records, so "Liste di Leva", in your case, are kept in Salerno Archives.
The "Foglio Matricolare" is a document drawn by the military district (related to the town of residence) containing physical description, advancements, displacements, discharge. In your case the military district was Naples.

Hope this will help.

Ada

#18: Re: Translation? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:52 pm
    ----
Hi Ada, thank for the information.

One problem I have is the birth town, in this case Roccapiemonte, did nothing. No military registration records for my family. As I pointed out, all military registrations took place in Castellammare di Stabia. Neither Roccapiemonte nor the Salerno Archives had any record of any of the men's registrations.

I had tried to tackle this some months ago and was turned away both by Roccapiemonte (not surprisingly) and the Salerno Archives.

I was told to look elsewhere. They had nothing. Well I did. I found their military registrations in Castellammare di Stabia. I have copes of each registration from there along with most of my family's marriage, birth, and death and all or most of the grandchildren.

Because I was at a brick wall in determining the death of Giuseppe and some other items, I began rereading all the records I had plus some to see if I had missed anything. That is when I found the notations on the military registrations and posted them with the forum to see what they had to say. I did notice my great grandfather's name (Antonio) mentioned in one of the notations. I had no clue whatever that he had served in the military.

That may also explain the gap in the birth of his children. Actually 2 gaps of 4 years each. 1879-1882 then 1884-1890. Now I have to figure out the time period he served. It may also help to to locate the two birth records I have not found as yet. I know the birth dates but not where. (He had a total of 9 children)

I do appreciate all the help I have been given by you Ada and the others. I will also write to that Military District.

lilbees

#19: Re: Translation? Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:31 am
    ----
Sorry to give you information in small bits everyday. If you haven't written your letter yet, I found on the Italian Army website an e-mail address for the Military District. Actually that's not any more the name districts have.They have been reorganized, grouped and renamed. They are now called "Centro Documentale". Go the site here below, on right side you'll see scrivi una mail al centro, clck on it and you can send your e-mail directly

Centro Documentale Napoli.

or send a fax.

Ada

#20: Re: Translation? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:48 am
    ----
Once again you have come through for me. Thank you so much Ada. Have sent my letter off.

lilbees

#21: Re: Translation? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:54 am
    ----
Ada, the website you gave me is for all Military Districts in Italy. How wonderful! I can write/email to any of them if necessary. Great resource.

lilbees

#22: Re: Translation? Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 am
    ----
No, it's not for all Military Districts in Italy. That was for Southern and partially Central Italy.
You probably don't need Northern and the rest of Central Italy but if that can be of any help for others, here it is:

Regione Militare Nord

Ada

#23: Re: Translation? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:58 am
    ----
Ada check this out.

www.esercito.difesa.it...ervizi.asp

lilbees

#24: Re: Translation? Author: uantitiLocation: Biella (Piedmont) and Venezia/Venice, Italy PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:05 am
    ----
You are right! I didn't check all pages on that website, there are too many..... Embarassed

Ada Embarassed

#25: Re: Translation? Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:06 am
    ----
Ya know, when you are retired, time really doesn't matter. So, I went through to see what else they had.

Have a good day.

lilbees

-> Translations